Skip navigation
Videowilk
Currently Being Moderated

Best solution for 2+ monitors CS6

Jun 22, 2012 8:11 AM

After reading discussions about the flaws of external hardware (matrox, BM, AJA) - or at least the drivers needed, I want to find the right solution for using two computer monitors for my Workspaces and a third (HDMI or HD SDI) output for a 37-inch program monitor (not broadcast, but decent Panansonic LED). I have been reading tons of specs and posts... what is best? I am planning a new CS6 workstation

1. Dual Quadro 4000s

2. Dual GTX 570s or 680s

3. some new idea??

Why can't Nvidia make all three ports active on the Quadros?

Wishing Adobe would post more than just minimum specs, but some kind of details on levels of workstations based on types of workflows...

Thanks,

Diane

PS I've been using a $50 HP USB signal splitter on CS5 for a couple of months - it's been great - allowing me to spread my Workspace across two monitors with HDMI to the panny monitor. But that can't really be The Solution, can it?!?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 22, 2012 8:32 AM   in reply to Videowilk

I have three monitors running off of one 680GTX.  In theory I could also run an HDMI output to a fourth although I haven't tested that. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 8:44 AM   in reply to Videowilk

GTX 670/680 cards support up to 4 monitors. Dual cards are not supported, nor is there a need for with the Kepler range of cards. Well, a bit more detail, you can install two cards if they use the same driver, but only one will be used by PR and the other only for steering monitors and that is a bit expensive with Quadros or the GTX 570/580, when a single 670/680 does the same job at much lesser cost and with better performance on most systems.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to Videowilk

The old adagio still applies: "Those who know don't tell, those who tell don't know".

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 12:23 PM   in reply to Videowilk

Videowilk wrote:

Thanks Harm - but I want to use a card certified by Adobe - does anyone know when it will be?

Request a card here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 12:31 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

The old adagio still applies:

That's adage - "A saying that sets forth a general truth and that has gained credit through long use."

Adagio is a musical notation for playing with a relaxed tempo.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 6:48 PM   in reply to Videowilk

I completely understand your desire to stick with certified cards but for the record, I've been running Premiere on my 680GTX without issue for a few months now.  Just had to apply the famous "workaround" fix.  They recently updated After Effects to include Ray Tracing support for the card and overall it works great.  But if you're dead set on waiting, my guess is that certification isn't too far away.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points