Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Rulers, grids, guides, and crop marks

Jun 22, 2012 1:19 PM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 22, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to Community Help

why can't I set or adjust the smart guide tool to snap to a whole number when using it to drag draw an object?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 2:02 PM   in reply to Community Help

I don't know what's going with Adobe these days, they give me a link  to view a video on Smart Guides (when you give someone a link its for that purpose) not to advertise about of vid's on iCloud.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 7:19 AM   in reply to Community Help

Not sure if its just me, but Construction Guides seems broken in CS5.5. Regardless of what angle I set them to, it just does them at 45º, 90º etc.

And smart guides seems more miss than hit in what objects it will snap to. Sometimes it fails to recognise a vector path at all.

I've had to go back to my copy of CS3 on occasions to be able to complete some simple tasks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 2:11 PM   in reply to EquatorDesign

Goodness, I am glad I read your post. I thought it was just me. And as Newbie I get lost enough without things not working correctly.

One would think with the cost of this software that there would be far fewer problems.

I am just about to go take a look at that video link posted top this page. I hope it's actually helpful because I am lost with these guides.

Also, @Equator ... have you gone into Smart Guide Preferences which is under Edit to change the settings?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 3:53 PM   in reply to Community Help

Quote from the last seconds: "It's perfectly OK to just jump in and worry about precision later." Maybe that's fine when you design a flowery business card, but it's not an efficient way to work. If you first design something and then have to rearrange and reshape all objects because the measurements are off, it will take you a lot longer to finish it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 10:14 AM   in reply to laptopleon

@laptopleon ~ you are exactly right about that! I have dealt with the same frustration.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 12:59 PM   in reply to Community Help

Some of the adjustments and settings explained in this Help topic can be seen in this tutorial by Andy Anderson on the InfiniteSkills blog. He shows how to adjust a specific project's units by going into the Document Setup dialog and also with the quick dropdown menu option. Then he shows how to set global unit settings using the Preferences menu; finally, he offers a quick tip on changing the zero point for the Illustrator rulers:

http://infiniteskills.com/blog/2012/08/adobe-illustrator-cs6-tutorial- adjusting-units/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points