Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

"local site folder" field adds \ and issues error that / isn't a valid path component

Jun 22, 2012 12:18 PM

Attempting to create a new Site, the New Site function prompts fields for Site Name and Local Site Folder.  However, the first time I filled these fields I accidentally ended a URL with the \ character.  Now every time I attempt to fill these fields with the correct URL the DW application adds that \ to the end of the Local Site Folder field and then issues error message that / (yes, not the same character)  isn't a valid path component.  I've deleted the WinFileCache*.dat file, deleted Internet Explorer saved files, and restarted computer but the error persists.  Any ideas short of reinstalling DW?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 22, 2012 12:31 PM   in reply to cyberbaffled

Create a whole new site definition called SiteName2. 

Delete the old site definition.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 2:45 PM   in reply to cyberbaffled

OK.  So let me get this sequence straight if I may.  You created a site definition but you added a slash to your URL which created path problems in your site.  When you remove the Slash from Sites > Manage Site > Edit... DW isn't holding onto the changes.  Is that about right?

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 3:20 PM   in reply to cyberbaffled

OK.  Delete your DW Personal Configuration Folder. DW will create a new one.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/494811

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 4:13 PM   in reply to cyberbaffled

I never used DW4, sorry. 

In the following example from DW8, my DW Local site is located inside my WAMP Testing Server's www folder.

DW-Site-Def-Local.jpg

Testing Server:

DW-Site-Def-Testing.jpg

Remote Server:

DW-SiteDefinition.gif

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 6:07 PM   in reply to cyberbaffled

First, I'd like to defer to Nancy on (almost) ALL issues related to DreamWeaver! She has knowledge and background that I can only aspire to.

But let me remind you that you do NOT need to "Define" your sites in order to be able to use DW! DreamWeaver will work just file with the plain old folder/file structure of your machines operating system.

At any one time, I may have about 20 active sites running and I use DW to edit and update ALL of them. I have defined ZERO of the sites.... !!

OK, I'm out of the closet! I'm a non-traditional DW user!

Since I don't use it, I'm really not sure of the advantages of "defining" a site. Everything DW can do by defining a site can also be done otherwise.

So please don't feel that just because you are having problems defining a site, that DW can't work for you.

DW can open and edit any applicable files on any drive on your computer. DW can link to any other file on your computer with the "Point to File" feature in the Properites Panel (images, other Web pages, etc).

And for FTP, I'd suggest a real FTP program, like Filezilla or SmartFTP.... more powerful and versatile than the built in FTP of DW!

So if for some reason you feel that you need to "Define" your sites... go for it!!

But also realize that "Defining" a site is just not necessary to take advantage of most of DW.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 6:44 AM   in reply to cyberbaffled

It's David Sawyer McFarland - just so you'll know.

Let me back up a bit and ask what is the actual path to your local root folder (the one that you have in your site definition)?  And also, what is the value that you see under advanced settings for the Web URL?  Finally, what is the path that you see in the Root Directory field of the Remote site's definition?

One more question - are you using DW4 or DWCS5.5?  You mention both and I'm not sure which applies.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points