Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Path Eraser Tool use?

Jun 17, 2012 7:17 PM

Hello,

I have two shapes placed next to each other but the top section displays is a faint line to the left. How do I use the Path Eraser Tool to delete/remove that piece? Or is there a better way to remove?

Note:

Top image displays without path displayed...

Bottom section displays with path displayed...

Thx!

RF

screenboth1.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 17, 2012 10:48 PM   in reply to rosef147

Use the Delete Anchor points button on the properties bar after selecting the points on these lines with the Lasso tool or by making a selection box with the Direct Selection tool

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 2:48 PM   in reply to rosef147

Do these two objects need to remain separate from each other? Since it looks like you were trying to line up the paths anyway, this problem can be very easily solved by merging the two objects.

You can combine the two objects by selecting both shapes and clicking on the "Unite" option in the Pathfinder panel (if you don't see the panel, go to Window > Pathfinder).

1.jpg

After that, you should have one shape, instead of two separate ones. You can then select the left-most anchor point using the Direct Selection tool and delete it. You should see the white area disappear.

3.jpg

Finally, select the two open points with the lasso tool, and join them by going to Object > Path > Join (or "control J"). You can adjust the points with the Direct selection tool to make sure the curve is nice and smooth.

4.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 3:31 PM   in reply to rosef147

Hm...I'm not familiar with the CS3 workspace, but try this article: http://www.illustratortips.com/index.php/Instruction/Intermediate-Tips /how-to-use-the-illustrator-pathfinder-palette.html

I think the tool you should be looking for is the "Add to Shape Area" action under Shape Modes in the the Pathfinder pallette.

unite.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points