Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Differences from iPad to Android

Jun 22, 2012 3:59 PM

Tags: #app #adobe #android

Hello,

We have been publishing on the iPad since January 2011 and are finally making the push into the world of Android, planning to offer our magazine via the Amazin Appstore and Google Play.

As we've followed the progress of DPS over the past couple years, I've seen some differences come to light where a certain design element or bit of interactivity wouldn't work one platform or the other.

I'm curious, as it stands right now, what do the differences look like? Is there a document somewhere that outlines this information.

So far, on the app side, I've been able to note that subscriptions are available in the Amazon Appstore but not in Google Play. Do any other notable differences exist between the two Android flavors and the iPad variant?

Obviously content will be re-designed and I'm sure we'll come across some thing sthat don't work on our end, but I was curious what the crowd could offer up.

Best,

Steven Sokulski

Replies
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 22, 2012 4:08 PM   in reply to Steven_Sokulski

Here's a list of features not supported on Android devices:

• Panoramas are not supported. 
    • Inline videos are not supported. 
    • Video and audio clips in web views do not work. 
    • Articles with the PDF image format are not supported. 
    • HTML content that works in mobile Safari doesn't always work in browsers of other mobile devices. Make sure that you test HTML web content overlays and HTML articles.
    • Subscriptions supported for Amazon Appstore and iOS App Store but not for Google Play.

I just recently created this "Supported feature list" article, which I'm still working on:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/digitalpubsuite/using/WS4cb2576c7954973c2e b019c713785310cf9-8000.html

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 27, 2012 3:30 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

That's really helpful Bob, many thanks for putting that together.

We're just starting to look at Android too and there's lots in there I wasn't aware of so you saved me a lot of work searching!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points