Skip navigation
murmuring
Currently Being Moderated

Font size in UI

Jun 21, 2012 6:28 PM

Tags: #mac #cs6

I go to Preferences>Interface>Text>UI Font size and change it to Large.  After a PS restart, the UI font is large and readable.  But after a few PS openings and closings it always reverts back to the default Small size.  It never seems to remember my setting.  Anyone else have this problem or perhaps something I need to do to make it so that PS always remembers this setting?

Mac OSX 10.7.4  PSCS6

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2012 7:43 PM   in reply to murmuring

The UI size setting is stored in Photoshop's preferences.

If your preferences are reset, then the UI size will be reset along with the rest of the preferences.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 8:03 PM   in reply to murmuring

What Chris Cox said, and remember that Photoshop saves its preferences only on an orderly QUIT.  If the program crashes, or if you force quit, then your UI size does not get saved.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 12:22 AM   in reply to murmuring

Sounds like your Photoshop preferences file is corrupted, then.

To re-create the preferences files for Photoshop, start the application while holding down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS). Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

Once you restart Photoshop, immediately set the UI Size and then quit Photoshop in an orderly fashion.  When you re-launch Photoshop once again, the UI Size should stick.  You can proceed to set all your other preferences to your liking, as they will have been reset to their factory defaults.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 6:40 PM   in reply to murmuring

Aaaaah... you hadn't mention Wacom before.  Wacom drivers can be trouble and I have no way to troubleshoot that.  I can only suggest you make sure you have the latest, Lion-compatible driver from Wacom.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 7:18 PM   in reply to murmuring

No, not as long as the Wacom tablet is connected and the Wacom drivers are installed, if the Wacom driver is the cause.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 7:32 PM   in reply to murmuring

In Bridge if you close program by clicking on the red X in upper right hand corner,  it closes the window and therefore forces close on Bridge.  To quit program you have to click on File/Exit.

Perhaps it is the same in Photoshop, to properly close PS you have to click File/Exit.  I know most people quit a program by just closing the window.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 8:27 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt Y wrote:

In Bridge if you close program by clicking on the red X in upper right hand corner,  it closes the window and therefore forces close on Bridge.  To quit program you have to click on File/Exit.

Perhaps it is the same in Photoshop, to properly close PS you have to click File/Exit.  I know most people quit a program by just closing the window.

Curt,

Just FYI, there's no "red X in the upper right hand corner" of any Mac window.

The menu item to quit Photoshop is called Quit (not exit) and it's in the Photoshop menu, not the File menu. 

Closing all windows does not quit Photoshop on the Mac.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,528 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 22, 2012 8:49 PM   in reply to station_two

To be a real stickler (not to mention a PIA), there's no red X in the upper right hand corner of Windows windows either.  The X is actually grayscale/white, it's just the surround that's red. 

RedX.jpg

But even worse, in Photoshop CS6 the button's surround isn't red either!

PhotoshopHatesRed.jpg

And lastly, pressing the button highlighted above in Photoshop in Windows does close the application gracefully, and (assuming Photoshop doesn't crash on the way out) preferences will be saved.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 10:08 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel,

I was just pointing out to Curt Y the differences between Mac and Windows.  The OP is on a Mac.

1.— There is NOTHING on the upper right-hand corner of a Mac window.  Niente!  

Screen shot 2012-06-22 at 9.41.28 PM.png

The Close, Minimize and Maximize buttons are on the left.  I choose the Graphite Appearance system-wide, so they're gray, with – + symbols in them when you hover the mouse over them.  Those who choose the Blue Appearance see gaudy red, amber and green lighted buttons.  

Color_lighted_buttons_OSX.jpg    

2.— Closing all windows does not cause Photoshop to exit on a Mac.  You only do that by hitting Command+Q or through the Photoshop menu > Quit Photoshop command.

Screen shot 2012-06-22 at 9.40.18 PM.png

If the OP were not a Mac user, I wouldn't have pointed out these differences.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,528 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 23, 2012 6:07 AM   in reply to station_two

I knew that, Station_two (note carefully my use of the word "either"). 

station_two wrote:

If the OP were not a Mac user, I wouldn't have pointed out these differences.

And if I weren't being a smartass trying to make a joke I wouldn't have pointed out the Windows coloration. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 8:57 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

And lastly, pressing the button highlighted above in Photoshop in Windows does close the application gracefully, and (assuming Photoshop doesn't crash on the way out) preferences will be saved.

OK, you got me on the red X.  One more point for Noel.

But I know for a fact in Bridge if you have checked "Start Bridge at Login" and close Bridge my clicking on "grayscale/white X surrounded by RED" any changes you made to your preferences will not be saved.  They will only be saved if you click on File/Exit.  Therefore, I stand by my statement - using the X makes a forced exit and preferences will not be saved, at least in Bridge.

Don't think PS has the "Start PS on Startup" option, but mentioned the above as OP said their prefernce changes were not persistant when he exited program.

And Station 2 -  I admit to not knowing how a Mac works.  So whether the "X"  is on left and are color lights, and Exit called something different, I was assuming the Mac user is smart enough to compute the correct terminology for their computer.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points