• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adjust color of pattern fill?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2012 Jun 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to adjust the color of a pattern fill without changing the actual pattern?

Sometimes I do this by overlaying another solid color fill on top of the pattern fill, and use multiply or other blend modes.  This works except when the pattern contains empty/transparent areas: in this case the solid color would pass through and affect the object below the pattern, which is unwanted.

So basically, is there a way to isolate the color change to a single object?  I've tried with "Isolate Blending" and "Knockout Group" with no success...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 23, 2012 Jun 23, 2012

Not with the methods I outlined. But if it's just a little less work you're after: give Edit > Edit colors > Recolor Art a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short of duplicating the swatch no

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show something. There are options to siolate the blending to one object. There are options to separate one pattern into several ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show something?

Yes!  Would you mind telling me how to isolate the blending to one object?

Separate one patterin into several pattern?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case you already know you want to make items of your pattern in several variations, you can put this element into its own pattern.

Then apply several fills to the object.

To isolate the blending, see the appearance panel (show its options). Only works inside of groups.

And please show your stuff. It's difficult to discuss when you don't see it, you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, please look at this image:

Untitled-2.jpg

Box 1 on top is what the pattern looks like, box 3 at the bottom is what I want to achieve (in this case I expanded the pattern).  Box 2 in the middle is what happens when I add a color fill with blending mode="color" directly on top of the pattern fill.  See that in this case, the color fill affects not just the pattern motifs, but also the background below it.

So is it possible to achieve box 3 without expanding the pattern?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not with the methods I outlined. But if it's just a little less work you're after: give Edit > Edit colors > Recolor Art a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika has the right answer in her last post.

Screen Shot 2012-06-23 at 10.11.37 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer.  Too bad what I wanted cannot be done, but this is a good alternative!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drag swatch out of the palette.

Make color changes.

Drag object back into palette.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change the fill and the stroke colors of the pattern by clicking on the edit pattern button in the Swatches panel. Alternatively, you may also double click on the pattern in the Swatches panel as well. This will open "Edit Pattern." This will isolate your pattern, and you will see a box around a portion of the pattern. From here, just select the individual strokes of the pattern within the box, and change the color accordingly. Once you select a color, you will see the entire row change color. You continue to do this until all the rows are changed. When you exit out, the entire fill will be changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to do this but it doesn't let me click on the individual strokes? why would this be?Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 15.27.18.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it's not a vector pattern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines