Skip navigation
Sarah Avitua
Currently Being Moderated

Freezing on Preparing to Install

Jun 22, 2012 3:41 PM

Tags: #installation #elements_8

I've tried to unistall PSE8 but when I select Unistall it freezes with the screen saying "Preparing to Uninstall".  I was told by tech support to drag folder to trash and then try to reinstall from disk.  I tried doing this and now it says "Preparing to Install".  It doesn't do anything at all.

Something different - the two buttons when I try to install (Quit and Install) both have a little blue square right over them. 

Either way it is not working.

Please help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 22, 2012 4:57 PM   in reply to Sarah Avitua

mac or windows, and what exactly did you drag to the trash?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 5:18 PM   in reply to Sarah Avitua

Oh dear. First of all, you can never migrate a PSE installation. Secondly, you MUST uninstall via the uninstaller. You have made a big old mess for yourself. You will need to download and run this:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

and then go back and manually pick out and trash all the pieces of PSE that are still lying around. Check not only Applications, but also your username>library>application support and Hard Drive>library>application support. If you are using lion one of these libraries is hidden and the other is hard to find. Let me know if you don't how to get to them.

PSE is not a tidy package app in accodance with the apple developer guidelines. The installer is more like a blast of buckshot and strews stuff all over your hard drive in places the migration assistant is not programmed to search for bits and bobs.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 6:14 PM   in reply to Sarah Avitua

Putting it back will not help. You  have semi-broken the links within the the program by trashing it, which is why the uninstaller also will not owrk. You must do what I said in my previous post.

The current version of cleanscript is supposed to leave other adobe programs alone, but I'm dubious about that. I would uninstall PS before proceeding, if I were in your situation, but theoretically it's not necessary.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 10:21 PM   in reply to Sarah Avitua

if you can't install as a trial you'vw missed something when looking for bits to remove.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 10:49 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

Also, are you able to find those two libraries I mentioned? Please let me know if you need help finding them. You must delete the stuff in there--very important.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 10:50 PM   in reply to Sarah Avitua

It doesn't matter what they look like. After running cleanscript you will not be able to use the uninstaller and must do it manually.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 7:49 AM   in reply to Sarah Avitua

And if it matters - the buttons looked like the previous screenshot before I tried to uninstall the very first time before cleanscript.  I also verified on my other machine and the little blue squares are not there.

Yes, of course, because you were missing parts of the program to begin with, due to trying to migrate it over.

You should certainly send the Bridge CS4 folder to the trash, among others. (I'm assuming you have PS CS5, incidentally.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to Sarah Avitua

Are you saying you have CS3 as well?

For the serial number, see this, but it would be a good idea to deactivate PS before doing this:

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/error-licensing-stopped-mac- os.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 7:59 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

I would also go to apple's website and download and run the combo updater for your version of OS X and also repair permissions before continuing with any of this. Also, everything may not be in the Adobe folder. Those are the most important but you will need to look around in the rest of the library as well for related files.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points