Skip navigation
Diavox
Currently Being Moderated

Premier CS6 importer error for mxf files

Jun 23, 2012 2:01 PM

Tags: #error #import #premier

premier-cs6_import-error.jpgfile_info.jpg

I can't import any mxf file into Premier CS6. I don't really understand this situation.

I have intalled Canopus.HQ.CODEC.v6.0.7 and for example my vlc media player plays fine all of my mxf files.

Can anybody help me solve this issue?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 23, 2012 2:13 PM   in reply to Diavox

I have intalled Canopus.HQ.CODEC.v6.0.7 and for example my vlc media player plays fine all of my mxf files.

Can anybody help me solve this issue?

Remove that codec and try again. Why did you install that in the first place?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 8:49 PM   in reply to Diavox

Where exactly did you get the files?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 12:54 AM   in reply to Diavox

Probably because they want to be able to investigate the exact type of mxf file it actually is. Because I edit mxf files with Premiere cs6 fairly regularly and I never have issues. So obivously something is either different with that specific type of mxf or something is corrupted which I doubt. Could you upload a small test file? So we can see if it will import into Premiere on our systems. Also since you're saying they digitized them using a canopus capture device/card and or software I'm thinking you may need that software and or the specific codec installed on your system in order to actually make use of that type of file.

I'd recommend downloading the entire "canopus playback codec pack". This should solve your issue. However I have no way to promise it will, I'm fairly sure it should work... Simply google "Canopus Playback Codec Pack" and the first result will give you the info your need to get the full playback package. I'm guessing this your problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 7:16 AM   in reply to Diavox

Why is important?

Because MXF is a bit like AVI or MOV.  It's a container format, which can hold all kinds of different video and audio codecs.

PP is designed to work with camera generated MXF files.  My guess here is that PP is just not compatible with your flavor of MXF files.

But, if you'd like to upload a clip somewhere, I'd be happy to download and test on my system.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 4:34 PM   in reply to Diavox

They don't work for me either, so it's looking like my guess may be correct.  PP just won't work with these files.

That's not so surprising, seeing has how Canopus doesn't make hardware compatible with PP.

You may have to look at something from a certified hardware partner, like Blackmagic, AJA, Bluefish, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 4:31 AM   in reply to Diavox

On my Mac, the sample file opened without any problems in PPro, AME and even the Quicktime-player as a XDCAM-MXF. But then, I do have a Quicktime MXF-component (called CalibratedMXF if I remember that one correctly) installed. Since you are obviously on a Win machine, you might want to try using VLC to transcode/export it to another codec/container, but your mileage will vary. You might want to try VirtualDub, although I seem to remember it doesn't suffer MXF files gladly.

Well, of course you could send them over to my place and I could transcode them easily enough, but that might not be the quickest solution....

I'll try it on windows next, but it will take some time

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points