Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

My gradients look odd

Jun 23, 2012 6:16 PM

Tags: #illustrator #cs5 #gradients

My gradients do not look smooth. No matter how I play with the sliders, it still does not look right.

Gradient 1 is one that I designed and gradient 2 is one I copied from another document that I liked.  I made my gradient with the same settings and you can see what I got.

gradient1.pnggradient2.png

Hopefully someone can give me some ideas.

Thanks

CS5/PC

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 23, 2012 6:26 PM   in reply to sponger246

Gradients don't looks the same here. v1 has a grey stop.. v2 appears to have a white stop (or at least a lighter grey). There are also obviously numbers after the decimal for the location in #2 which do not exist for the location in #1.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 6:43 PM   in reply to sponger246

And most importantly the gradient has a length (size) attribute which unfortunately is not in the Gradient panel and is also not accessible as a numeric value but only by using interactively the gradient tool (G) and pulling the end point representing the length of the gradient. If you don't want to copy it with the eyedropper or as a style, I don't know of a way to accurately measure the length(size) of the gradient but eyeballing the ruler.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 7:51 PM   in reply to sponger246

I have no idea what are you trying to achieve but it doesn't make sense to have the rounded rectangle with a gradient and a circle in front of it with a different gradient but trying to match both in the way you described. If you want to match the gradient of both objects, then select both objects, make sure the gradient is set to radial, take the Gradient tool and first drag away from the objects then drag again from the center of both objects to the end of the rounded rectangle and you will have a match - the circle will not be distinguished. Is this what you want to do?

Can you please, show a screenshot comparing how the gradient tool appears when all objects,  yours and referenced objects are selected?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 8:44 PM   in reply to sponger246

What is the purpose of showing us inflated circle instead of just simple circle, box, etc? If you have a problem in general you should start with the most simple example.

Also if both  objects have the same gradient the Gradient panel will not show a question mark.

May be the best way of figuring out your issue is if you can share the file. I have to go now and won't be able to check it soon but I'm sure others can help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 1:57 AM   in reply to emil emil

emil emil wrote:

Also if both  objects have the same gradient the Gradient panel will not show a question mark.

Agreed.

emil emil wrote:

May be the best way of figuring out your issue is if you can share the file.

Agreed.

And to that end... How is the circle "inflated"? What's the Appearance Panel look like?

You simply aren't sharing enough information. It seems VERY clear to me from what you are showing.. the gradients are NOT the same.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 4:16 AM   in reply to sponger246

I notice that in your screen that you are actually applying the gradient to a circle and then converting the circle shape to a rounded rectangle is that not correct?

Can we see your appearance panel and the other settings for the two rounded rectangles.

Because this is what would happen if it were an actual rounded rectangle.

Also I do not know how you are capturing the actual annotator tool unless you ae using a video still I am curious about this.

But as you can see there clearly other issues involved here and not just the gradient fill that could play a role in how the gradient is being msnifested and displayed.

Please give more information.

Screen Shot 2012-06-24 at 7.00.36 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 4:36 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

I did a video that would seem to demonstrate that what we are being show simply is not possible can you explain how you say you accomplished what you say have accomplished?

Something seems to be wrong to me at least.

http://www.wadezimmerman.com/videos/GradientMystery.mov

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 7:46 PM   in reply to sponger246

I see you do have an effect and from wht happened after reopening the file I would say perhaps a cahe file was bloated or corrupt but is now ok.

Or there could be an issue with your video card or perhaps even your monitor I know that might not sound right because the other one looked good but the issue(s) could be more complicated than what meets the eye.

Kar209 well it looks like ou actually have solution to your problem with Photoshop use Inkspace or Gimp.  Seems logical.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points