Skip navigation
M2700HD
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS4 crashes generating a TOC

Jun 17, 2012 7:08 AM

I have read about other users problems with TOC's, but none of their solutions seems to be any help. My InDesign CS4 crashes either when I try to generate the TOC or when I select a specific paragraph style setting up the TOC. Unlike the users of later versions I get no message when the program crashes - it just happens.

I am working on a book with 40 files (chapters) and inserting index codes and generating index is no problem. I have 12 GB RAM. Please help me.

Leif

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 17, 2012 7:31 AM   in reply to M2700HD

First, be sure you've installed at least the 6.0.5 patch for CS4, then the next things to try are export to .inx and/or .idml (see Remove minor corruption by exporting) and replacing your preferences (see Replace Your Preferences) in that order.

If neither of those works, please report back with your OS.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 8:09 AM   in reply to M2700HD

Probably best to do all 40, then put into a brand new book. However, if you have inter-doc cross-references, save backup copies of all the files first, then resave the new files with the old names to overwrite. Normally I advocate against overwriting the old files, but it's the only way you have a prayer of preserving cross-document links.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 8:57 AM   in reply to M2700HD

Save backup copies of the current .indd files so you don't lose what you have now, just in case.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 10:06 AM   in reply to M2700HD

No problem. You don't want to make things worse, so it's important to understand what you are doing.

Considering the number of files involved, start with step 1 (and it is necessary if in step 4 you are going to overwrite them. You don't want to do that with a file that is not better, and we have no idea if the new file will be), then move to step 6, which is easy and fast, but probably will not help. Keeping backup copies is basic good work habits, and something you should do under any circumstances in case of hard drive failure or other disaster.

In fact, let's try one other thing first, before anything else, just to confirm where the problem really is: Create a new user account on the machine, reboot and log in with that account, and see if it continues to crash. If it works in a new user, there's nothing wrong with either ID or the files, and the problem is in your current user account, making it more likely to get fixed by replacing prefs, and rendering the whole .inx madness unnecessary. If it still crashes in the new user, replacing the prefs isn't going to do a thing for you so it's on to step 1 followed by steps 2 - 5 above.

When you get to step 4, you should save with new names, not the old ones, unless you are using cross-reference, hyperlinks, or bookmarks that reference another file. The reason for overwriting (saving with the old names) is to try to keep those external links working. It there are no external links, saving with new names will hopefully give you the clean files, and preserve the old ones as a backup at the same time.

After step five, try making the TOC again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 2:21 PM   in reply to M2700HD

The new user account  behavior is very encouraging. Log into the other account again, follow the direction for resetting the prefs, and also see Adobe Forums: InDesign crashes at startup for a list of additonal files in the user library to delete. Reboot and see if it behaves.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 7:11 AM   in reply to M2700HD

The name(s) could be different in the danish version, but the folders will exist in some fashion. These are your USER library folders, as distinct from the SYSTEM libary folders, so they'll bu under your user. On Snow Leopard these folders are hidden by default.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 8:04 AM   in reply to M2700HD

When you open a .inx file and save it, you must now save as .indd. If you have a file with that name already, when you save the .inx using the old name you overwrite the old version with the new one. This destroys any possibility of going back to that old version of the file for any reason as it will no longer exist in the previous state. Using a new name is a precautionary measure.

In a case where you have a book file that contains several .indd files, and those .indd files have links of some sort that refer to locations in another file in the book, those links will always point to the file with the old name, in the old location. In that case, and ONLY in that case, it is necessary to save your new files with the old name in the old location in order to preserve these inter-document links. If you need to do that you should make backup copies of the old files in a new location for safety, and do not delete them or overwrite them until you are absolutley certain that the new files are working properly and there is no possible further use for the backup copies.

We hear from users all the time who have made a change to a file like this, have not saved the old version, and now cannot use the new version for some reason and are faced with starting over.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 9:10 AM   in reply to M2700HD

The links in your cross references are "absolute" so your converted files must be in the old folder or the refernces will look at the old files, not the new ones.

Cross-references between documents are "fragile" at best, but in your situation I would back up the old files to a safe location and save the conversions in the old folders with the old names in hopes that you don't have to redo 200 links.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 3:10 PM   in reply to M2700HD

You didn't do anything wrong, as far as I can tell (though I would have created a new book file with a new name). Preserving the cross-refs was never an absolute guarantee, just a hope, with the best chance doing what you did (and I'm not sure from your post that they really are lost). You mentioned earlier that you were willing to rebuild the references, if necessary, so I think you are at least better off than you were because the program is no longer crashing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 4:06 PM   in reply to M2700HD

I'm afraid you need to rebuild them from scratch. It wouldn't surprise me if you were to add the old files into a book (see, they are still useful ) and check the references that they were already broken. You'll have to move the new files temporarily and put the old ones back where they were if you try, or you will be looking at the new files for all the link destinations, not the originals.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 2:25 PM   in reply to M2700HD

I've done practically no work in CS4 on Windows 7, but had no issues with the one book project that I completed last year in CS4. It had no cross-references.

I don't think it's fair to blame .inx for your problems, either. We don't know what the cause of the original trouble was, and it could be making problems again. I'm also disturbed that you say there were formatting changes caused by the export. A .inx or .idml file opened in the same version of InDesign used to create it should be identical in format to the original, and if it is not I would suspect deeper problems on your system.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2012 7:24 AM   in reply to M2700HD

You're running Windows, right? Those files don't exisit on Windows, and the note about Lion pertains to OS X version 10.7.x. so is not relevant to you. That other thread won't help you at all I'm afraid.

Exporting to .inx a second time probably won't help, either. But you may be able to isolate the problem by making a copy of the file and deleting half of the pages. If it stops crashing, the problem is probably in the half you deleted, so try again keeping that half and delting the ones you kept, then delete half of what's left. Keep delting halves until you are down to a single page that is crashing. Rebuild the links on that page and try again.

It could also be something other than a reference link. You can isolate an object on the page using the same "divide and conquer" technique.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2012 7:41 AM   in reply to M2700HD

Yes, but at that point I didn't know you were a Windows user. Sorry.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2012 9:58 AM   in reply to M2700HD

Are any of the paragraph styles used for the TOC in a paragraph style group (folder)?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 8:56 AM   in reply to M2700HD

Yes, I've had crashes due to paragraph styles that were in a group (the collected styles, not the formatting styles).

As for the crashing of the specific document, beside the export to INX, I'd suggest that you try the following:

1. Hide all linked files and see if the document still crashes.

2. Check the Find Font dialog for any "strang" fonts in that document.

3. Deactivate/remove all the fonts used in the document, and check if the document still crashes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 1:13 PM   in reply to M2700HD

Hiding the links means moving them from the current locations on your system so that the links break and ID no longer can find them (which also means thay cannot be in a folder or subfolder with the .indd file).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 5:07 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

It might not have anything to do with the slashes. Indexes can get damaged for many reasons. If you have time, make a copy of one of the files, add the reference back in (re-create it as new) and see if the crash comes back.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 5:09 PM   in reply to M2700HD

And you don't need to post the same reply more than once. Your responses all go on the web page and anyone subscribed will see them.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points