Currently Being Moderated

Best presets in PE10 for MJPG and MPEG4AVC

Jun 24, 2012 5:32 AM

Tags: #presets #premiere_elements_10

Hello,

I'm looking for the best presets for the following sources:

1. 1. MJPEG from Canon cameras, 640x480, square pix, 30fps
  2. 2. H264, MPEG-4 AVC (avc1), 1280x720, square pix, 30fps

I found a few presets but they don't match the above perfectly but I recall from previous PE versions that even when different resolution was selected (720x480) I could create output file with res 640x480 and square pixels.

Just to clarify - I'd like to create different projects for videos 1. and 2. If possible I'd like to have one project with mixed content of 1. and 2. and output format of 2. but this is not that important - if not achievable a separate 1. and 2. are still OK.

What will be the best output codec and format to use? I'd like to share the video on Win PC and looking for best quality/size parameter.

Thank you in advance for any comments/hints.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2012 6:22 AM   in reply to srgim

Premiere Elements is designed to edit camcorder video almost exclusively. It generally does not work well with MJPEG video from still cameras. Although some people have managed to get it to work somewhat by installing the camera's software on their computer, which can also install the necessary codecs.

You don't say where your second video is coming from, but if it's coming from a phone, it's also not likely to work in the program. You can try  using the project settings for Flip Mino HD camcorder. If anything will work, it will. But there are no guarantees.

Working on this video in two different projects is highly recommended. Because of their structure, frames rates, resolutions and codecs, the program is not likely to be able to work with them both in the same project.

As for outputting your video -- there are a number of options that would work. It depends on how you're going to use your output video: Display it online? Use it in another project? Play it on an iPod or smartphone? They all have different needs.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 9:09 AM   in reply to srgim

If you download and install the free utiltiy, MediaInfo, and run the source files through it, you can find the Field Order in them, and set accordingly.

The reason that Steve mentioned installing your camera's exact version of MJPEG, is that most mfgrs. tweak the MJPEG CODEC to their specs., and a generic MJPEG CODEC might not work perfectly. This ARTICLE covers that in more detail, but gives some generic MJPEG CODEC links.

As for Xvid, few files, that contain that, or the commercially available DivX, few have ever had success editing those. Also, for Export/Share, Xvid usually crashes the program, but I Export/Share to DivX (same thing, but just not open source), with the AVI container, with great success.

If handed Xvid, or DivX material as source, I always convert, before Import. Usually, with Xvid, or DivX source, the user gets Audio, but no Video, Audio, but bad Video, or if the get both, the Sync drifts all over the place. I just do not fight that, and convert. As a side-note, more PrE users have had limited success with Xvid/DivX, where I cannot recall any PrPro users having such success - it just never works. On my systems, both PrE and PrPro can Export/Share DivX, but both programs crash, when I try to use the open source Xvid CODEC.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 10:38 AM   in reply to srgim

I have downloaded the latest Xvid (1.3) and it seems to work with PrE10.

That is good news, and is new to me. As CODEC's are changed/improved, some of the older "problem" ones, might soon work better, in certain NLE programs. Thanks for sharing that.

As for the use of Xvid/DivX, they are great output CODEC's, where one wants good qualtiy, for smaller, streaming video. They allow for good viewer preception of quality, but at lower Bit-Rates, hence smaller files. They both apply heavy compression, so a lot of data is "thrown away."

As for you question on "quality," I cannot think of why a less highly-compressed file would look worse, but again Xvid/DivX are good for streaming output - just not for re-editing.

As for my conversions, as most of my clients are still needing SD DVD-Video, I am just converting their Xvid/DivX material to NTSC DV-AVI w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. I use an older shareware conversion program, DigitalMedia Converter 2.7 (Deskshare). Were I doing HD material, for BD output, I would explore their newer versions of DigitalMedia Converter, and probably their "Pro" version. For intermediate HD files (files that will be re-edited), I would look to one of the lossless CODEC's, such as Lagarith Lossless, or UT. The files WILL be large, but they will be lossless, and that would be the importance to me. This ARTICLE goes into more detail. Note: those NTSC DV-AVI files are very large already - about 13GB/hour, so file size, if I am going to re-edit, is not a concern for me. I am trying to mainitain ultimate quality, and then will Export/Share to what is needed.

On a side-note, I have filed Feature Requests to have a Custom Preset added to PrE, like PrPro has. That allows one to fine-tune the Project Preset for off-standard Source Files. So far, the best that we have gotten is more Presets, but that still leaves a lot of stuff to "fall through the cracks." I also have no idea how much it would cost to implement that Custom Preset into PrE, and I know that Adobe has a price-point to hit, with the program. Also, one should not expect PrE to have all the "bells and whistles," that a $700 PrPro has - it just is not going to happen. I also do not know how much we can expect to "trickle down" from PrPro, as it has different coding, than PrE has. Some things might just "plug in," but others might require major re-coding, and that does cost money.

Maybe PrE 11 (probably to be released in Autumn?) will have the 640 x 480 PAR = 1.0 (square pixels) Preset, with enough FPS to handle more of that material. We are seeing a lot more from camera mfgrs. and usually from still cameras, that also shoot video. While a Custom Preset woudl be ideal, the addition of the right Project Presets is a good second-place - so long as those fit what YOU want to use. [That "YOU," is reflective of ANY particular user, and NOT you personally.]

Good luck, and thanks for the info on the latest Xvid and PrE 10. That is good to know. I wonder if that will translate to DivX too? I have Imported and edited DivX material in CyberLink's PowerDirector, and also Magix MovieEdit Pro, but would rather use Premiere, so I just convert, rather than use another NLE.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points