Skip navigation
zeron82411
Currently Being Moderated

A few problems creating a website

Jun 22, 2012 3:56 PM

I have this weird thing at my website. There is a gap between the main and the footer.

As you can see here: http://dhsrobotics.org/2012/home.html

Second problem. In this one, the main and the footer stops leaving an awkward thing for the continuing text.

LINK: http://dhsrobotics.org/2012/BEST.html

Please help! Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 22, 2012 4:20 PM   in reply to zeron82411

#1 Remove height values from divisions.  Page height is determined by content, not explicit values.

#main {

height: 700px;

width: 910px;

background-repeat: no-repeat;

font-family: Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;

background-color: #999;

}

#2 Same as #1 above.  Height is limiting how much content will fit inside your #main div.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 6:31 AM   in reply to zeron82411

The colors are pretty dark.  Where are you seeing this gap?

As far as other code errors go:

• Line 42 - Change style="font-size:14px":"color:#FFF" to style="font-size:14px;color:#FFFFFF;"
    • Line 54, 56, 91, 92 - the blockquote.  Do you understand what a blockquote is?  If so, you do you realize you have 2 nested blockquotes surrounding your entire body?  Why do you need them?  I recommend deletion

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 5:58 AM   in reply to zeron82411

The <blockquote> tag is intended to delimit a bit of quoted text on your page.  It happens to also indent the text, and as a result is commonly used erroneously as a general indentation tool.  That's an improper use.  While it won't cause your page to fail validation, it will confuse any semantic evaluation of the 'meaning' of the code.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 6:49 AM   in reply to zeron82411

Ok, I see it is now that the blockquote is gone.  That's because the floated element is taken out of the flow of the document and is longer than the container that it's in.  So the background is not streteching.  You can add some more content or just add padding to the bottom of your main container to try and add more background there.  Not ideal, but that's the simplest way I see to fix the issue.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points