Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I make actual comic panels?

Jun 24, 2012 6:55 PM

What I mean by that is, is there a way to make it so everything that appears on the artboard is hidden/invisible, and have it so my vector shapes/images only appear inside rectangle/panels?

As of now, if I am to create a comic using the pen tool, and some parts of the vector are outside the rectangles (panels) I made, I would either have to use the knife tool to cut off the vectors outside, or hide the vectors outside the panels with white rectangles (since my artboard is white).

My way of doing things is time-consuming, and just really crappy in general. Is there another way? Can I actually create panels?

Thank you!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2012 7:14 PM   in reply to tw93

Why not make multiple artboards; each sized to a panel?

Does that work for you?

|
    Mark as:
  • Mathias17
    451 posts
    Feb 20, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2012 10:35 PM   in reply to tw93

Size your artboard to the total size of the comic strip.

On a layer above your comics artwork, make picture frames (probably just rectangles with a small black stroke and a large white stroke set to Outer stroke alignment) that effectively "mask" everything below, in the sense that nothing outside each black stroke is visible. Keep this layer locked.

You can even set the picture frames layer's opacity to 50% while you work, so you don't lose objects underneath and can always find them easily, without having to hide/unhide the layer. Alternatively, you could CTRL left-click the layer thumbnail and turn it to outlines mode to keep a "preview" of where the picture frames are, even less obtrusively.

When done, just export a JPG or PNG, being sure to designate the artboard you want to save, at the bottom of the export dialogue window (even if you only have one artboard still do this - it tells Illy to ignore everything outside the artboard, otherwise you'll have random white, blank space in your exported image as far as all "masked" objects extend).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 2:26 AM   in reply to Mathias17

Learn about Clipping Masks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 4:02 AM   in reply to [scott w]

As Scott wrote Clipping mask

Draw Rectangle the size of the frame you need select the art and rectangle then command or control 7.

Could be simpler.

Or if you need it simpler you could draw yyour rectaangle first select it go to the Draw Inside tool near the bottom of the Tool Panel and draw away. It's a drop down in CS 6

Nothing beyond outside of the rectangle will be visible.

Draw Inside will allow you to reposition the rectangle or frame if you wish  in either the relative position tothe art or displace the rectangle and the art as a unit.

If you select a path within the frames you will be able to see the entire path include what lies outside the frame for editing purposes.

Read about the Draw inside feture  and you might also find the Dtaw behind feture helpful for your work as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 4:04 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

BTw you can also cut an paste into the draw inside object and it need not be a rectangle.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 5:57 AM   in reply to tw93

They hage a paste inside command and masking features but to tell you the truth they seem a bit odd to me definitely not as simple to understand as Illustrator.

You canread this article  but I have to say everytime someone tells me how easy it is to understand one of the old macromedia applications I wonder wht they are thinking. It seems like nothing works like one would expect it.

here is the article  masks in Fireworks.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/fireworks/cs/using/WS4c25cfbb1410b0021e63e 3d1152b00db4b-7fee.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 6:06 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

BTW if you mark an answer answered it does not lock the thread and you can mark others as the helpful.

If you do not want to amrk something as the answer as you are not certain either mark it later or you might mark it helpful.

You caqn marrk other responses as helpful as well.

But make certai9n you have the right answer before marking any response as the answer.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points