Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Best export settings for intermediate clips to be further edited later

Jun 24, 2012 8:50 AM

I shoot AVCHD show-long footage of live performances and then cut it up into individual song clips after making a few touchups like replacing and syncing the audio from the mixing board, etc. I then export these from the work area as individual files so I can work on them later like adding titles, and fade ins and outs, and tweaking the audio further. I then export as final files for whatever purpose I need such as BluRay or DVD chapters, YouTube uploads, etc. The question I have is, what's the absolute best format to export these intermediate files as full 1920x1080 to avoid as much recompression as possible? File size is not too much of a consideration at this point since they're usually only a few minutes long and I want to maintain as much quality as I can. I'm using PP CS4 and PP CS6-trial on a new computer I just built and I'm getting amazingly fast renders and exports compaired to what I'm used to (just had to brag about that)!

Thanks,

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2012 9:48 AM   in reply to MikeAiken

Personally, I like either of these two lossless formats/CODEC's:

Lagarith Lossless

UT Lossless

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] This ARTICLE has the links to those.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 11:13 AM   in reply to MikeAiken

I understand. I often use the Premiere Elements Tips & Tricks sub-forum, as a repository for articles that apply to both versions of Premiere. It is a convenient location, and similar does not exist in the PrPro forum structure.

Now, some of the articles there, ARE just for PrE, and a few are ONLY for Premiere Pro, but most are universal, and where things differ, for say PrE, or PrPro, I try to show both, and differentiate between the differences, sort of like when one writes an article on how to do things, and those operations differ between a Mac and a PC. One tries to list both, so that the article is platform-agnostic.

Most of all, I am glad that it was helpful to you - that is what is important, at the end of the day.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 4:21 PM   in reply to MikeAiken

Lagarith is a great codec, I personally always use Lagarith or avid's DNXHD 220 codec. If I'm purely just archiving something though I usually encode to black-magics motion jpeg codec. Motion jpeg is almost lossless but not quite but it actually gives decent file sizes. But if you want literally no visual quality difference I'd go with either avid's dnxhd 220 codec or Lagarith.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 7:06 AM   in reply to MikeAiken

MikeAiken wrote:

...what's the absolute best format to export these intermediate files as full 1920x1080 to avoid as much recompression as possible?

Others have answered your direct question. The implied question is about workflow and how to maintain maximum quality. One way is to avoid making an intermediate.

You don't have to work on your footage in separate projects. You can work on separate sequences inside one project. If you do this, you avoid having to create an intermediate and maintain highest possible quality.

What I've done before in similar situations is to create subclips and then create another sequence and work on those subclips there. The subclips reference the original file non-destructively as is PPro's way, so maximum quality is maintained. When you're done adding titles, transitions, audio work, etc. then you just export this sequence just like you normally do.

PPro is a huge and complex program, and there are usually many ways to accomplish the same task. I'm only bring this up as an alternative way of accomplishing this task on the off chance you hadn't thought of it. Clearly, YMMV.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points