Skip navigation
robbyndwiga
Currently Being Moderated

Pop up menu

Jun 24, 2012 4:30 AM

Have been tryiing to use dreamweaver to do popup menu and it was very easy with dreamweaver 8 but dreamweaver CS3, 4 & 5 is not easy. The idea is to come up with a layout in photoshop then slice it, take it to dreamweaver and use one of the images as a menu so when you mouse over the munu pops up and drops. I have tried with spry but spry cannot work with existing images, I will really appreciate if I can get help on this

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2012 6:16 AM   in reply to robbyndwiga

Let's start with basics. You say this -

"The idea is to come up with a layout in photoshop then slice it, take it to dreamweaver"

Are you exporting the layout from Photoshop as HTML?  If so, then you are heading down the wrong path.  That feature of PS is *only* useful to create a quick PROTOTYPE of the page/site that would be used for a controlled demonstration of the final product.  The resulting "HTML" page is not (and never has been) suitable for use in a real web page/site.  This is because the code is very 'rigid' and relies on that rigidity to exactly reproduce the physical layout in PS.  When placed on the web, unexpected variables come into play, like browser text display size, and those variables can cause your page to develop gaps between the various text regions (that's a best case failure example).  PS (or FW) should be used only to produce the graphic elements that are found on your page.  DW is what should be used to create/write the page's HTML infrastructure.

(I won't go into all the ways that using DW8's popup menus were wrong)

Then you say -

"use one of the images as a menu"

Are you using a single image as a menu, or multiple images?

Then you say -

"spry cannot work with existing images"

But that's not the case.  You can make a spry menu using existing images. It just may require some additional work on your part.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 4:17 AM   in reply to robbyndwiga

Show us what you want your menu to look like, please.  In other words, what graphics do you want to use?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 7:40 AM   in reply to robbyndwiga

There is no link to your site in your post.

Yes I saved the layout from PS as html

That is a terrible mistake, unfortunately.  As soon as you post a link to your page, we can tell you the details.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 9:16 AM   in reply to robbyndwiga

Here's an example page.  It will require some manual work in the code.  Alternatively you can use my code on your page.

http://www.gws-sandbox.com/test-sprymenu-horizontal.html

Your table-based menu is shown above, and the modified Spry menu is shown below it (with dropdowns).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points