Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

unbalanced div tags

Jun 25, 2012 1:03 AM

I have used the WC3 validator to find unbalanced div tags.

One error listed is as follows:

line 2209, Column 39: end tag for "div" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified

<!-- InstanceEndEditable --></td>

For correcting this issue, where is the closing div tag to be inserted, is it immediately after the listed code, in this case it is immediately after </td>?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 25, 2012 3:45 AM   in reply to aonefun

I don't understand. Why would you have the <td> tag inside an editable area and the </td> outside of an editable area. It's sort of like placing the top half of a corpse on one side and the bottom half on the other side of a closed guilotine. The two halves are no longer one body.

Gramps

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 4:04 AM   in reply to Ben Pleysier

We only  know that the </td> is outside the editable region.  But I do like your analogy!

@aonefun, we'd need to see more code to answer your question.  Like where is the opening div tag placed?  But for SURE the closing </div> could never go immediately after </td> since the only thing that could go there would be <td> or </tr>.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to aonefun

There are several missing or misplaced </div> tags on that page (I find 310 instances of <div and only 308 of </div>).

The first should go here -

<!-- end of  country2 -->

</div>

</td>

</tr>

</table>

The second most probably should go ABOVE the start point of the "Layer4" (LAYERS? EEK), although your code is not well chosen, so it's hard to know exactly -

</table>

</div>

</div>

</div>

</div>

<div id="Layer4" style="border-width: thin;border-style:solid;border-color:#666666; position:absolute; width:600px; height:610px; z-index:300; left: 0px; top: 0px;visibility: hidden;">

Because of the poorly chosen code, the validator is confused. The insertion point it shows is incorrect.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points