Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 applications only work in admin accounts

Jun 9, 2012 8:06 PM

Tags: #permissions #cs #6 #problems #admin #account #privilege #managed

iMacs, OS X 10.6.8, 4gb of ram:

Our district has a volume license of CS 6 Master collection. I recently started upgrading the iMacs in our computer labs to CS6, but the applications only work on the admin account. When I try to run the applications from a managed account, I get the user permission prompt stating that the user does not have permission to run the application.

1. If I select always allow, the application does not open.
  2. If I click allow once, the application opens, but more permissions prompts come up for the applications specific components that have to run.
  • For Photoshop, for example, the user does not have permission for adobe_licutil, for AE, the mercury render engine, etc.
  • The application opens, but freezes (see error code below).

What I've done so far:

1. Ensured that the applications are checked off in the preferences so that the account has permission to run them, however, it appears that the user does not have permission for additional components which are not listed in system preferences and therefore cannot be checked off in system preferences.
    • This did not work. The account has permission to run the apps but the same problems (1 & 2 above) persist.
  2. Selected all of the application folders and changed the permissions in the terminal (chmod -rf 777 on all folders). The account has permission for all files/components.
    • This did not work.
  3. Changed the managed account to an admin account (allow user to adminster computer in system preferences) and all problems are fixed. All applications then open/run.
    • Solves the problem and all CS 6 apps run, however, we cannot have students use an account with admin privileges.
    • Changed the account back to a managed one, selected all CS 6 applications and utilities in the user account preferences, but the problems returned.

Any ideas on how this can be fixed?

All CS 6 applications result in the following error (the errors are essential identical, only the name of the application and reference to application specific components are different, not the entire log):

Process:     Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 [246]
Path:        /Applications/Adobe Premiere Pro CS6/Adobe Premiere Pro CS6.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Premiere Pro CS6
Identifier:  Adobe Premiere Pro CS6
Version:     ??? (???)
Code Type:   X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process:  Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 [229]

Date/Time:   2012-06-08 11:58:03.976 -0400
OS Version:  Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)

Report Version:  6

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Application Specific Information:

*** multi-threaded process forked ***

*** NSTask: Task create for path '/Applications/Adobe Premiere Pro CS6/Adobe Premiere Pro CS6.app/Contents/Frameworks/AdobeCrashReporter.framework/Required/Ado beCrashDaemon.app/Contents/MacOS/AdobeCrashDaemon' failed: 22, "Invalid argument".  Terminating temporary process.

Thread 0 Crashed:  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0   com.apple.Foundation      0x00007fff896dd646 ___NEW_PROCESS_COULD_NOT_BE_EXECD___ + 5
1   com.apple.Foundation      0x00007fff89611f04 -[NSConcreteTask launchWithDictionary:] + 3506
2   com.apple.Foundation      0x00007fff8961aa33 +[NSTask launchedTaskWithLaunchPath:arguments:] + 215
3   com.adobe.AdobeCrashReporter  0x000000010000a251 AdobeCrashReporterInitialize + 2880
4   com.adobe.AdobePremierePro0x00000001000036c4 main + 148
5   com.adobe.AdobePremierePro0x000000010000361c start + 52

Thread 0 crashed with X86 Thread State (64-bit):

rax: 0x0000000000000001  rbx: 0x000000010dfaa6b0  rcx: 0x00007fffffe000c0  rdx: 0x00007fff70c72340

rdi: 0x000000010e1c8a00  rsi: 0x000000010e1c8a00  rbp: 0x00007fff5fbff410  rsp: 0x00007fff5fbff410

r8: 0x0000000000000001   r9: 0x000000010dfaa980  r10: 0x0000000000000000  r11: 0x000000000000003f

r12: 0x00007fff710b9498  r13: 0x0000000000001300  r14: 0x0000000000000000  r15: 0x0000000000000000

rip: 0x00007fff896dd646  rfl: 0x0000000000000202  cr2: 0x000000010def7000

Binary Images:

0x100000000 -    0x100003ff7 +com.adobe.AdobePremierePro 6.0.1 (6.0.1) <235A9737-DBF6-33F7-E3C0-BE780C209731> /Applications/Adobe Premiere Pro CS6/Adobe Premiere Pro CS6.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Premiere Pro CS6
   0x100008000 -    0x10000cff7 +com.adobe.AdobeCrashReporter 6.0 (6.0.20120201) <A6B1F3BD-5DB0-FEE5-708A-B54E5CA80481> /Applications/Adobe Premiere Pro CS6/Adobe Premiere Pro CS6.app/Contents/Frameworks/AdobeCrashReporter.framework/Versions/A/A dobeCrashReporter

Thanks

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 12, 2012 8:03 AM   in reply to Carlos1327

Same problem, need a fix for this ASAP!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 6:01 AM   in reply to Carlos1327

This is a user to user forum, not a direct line to Adobe. If you are having installation issues, these are handled free of charge.

Call Adobe tech support for that.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 5:41 AM   in reply to Carlos1327

Thanks for the info Carlo, that CS6 will not work with OS 10.6.8, but only with Lion. Extremely frustrated here with 450 Macs that I cannot run CS6 on. You can bet that I will take a very hard look at alternative applications for our students. I am wondering why I invested money in CS6. Why can't all of the vendors understand that we need software to run in a multi-user enviroment and play nicely together. It is interesting that Adobe lists the system requirements as 10.6.8 or 10.7 on their web site for CS6. I see that there are issues with 10.8 also.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 5:48 AM   in reply to Bill.Grutz

CS6 can most certainly run on a non-admin account. I don’t profess to know the particulars of what types of user accounts it will work on but I would call Adobe back and make sure to get this escalate.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 6:43 AM   in reply to Carlos1327

The very same problem here.  I have 25 iMac's that are dead in the water right now.  If we must upgrade from Snow Leopard, my question is whether we can jump to Mountain Lion.  Does anyone know?  In the meantime, I will register my complaint (disgust?) with Adobe Support.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 7:17 AM   in reply to bboc01

I will throw my usual advice that will be countered by others.

Do a clean install.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 11:55 AM   in reply to Carlos1327

Well, after an hour and a quarter on hold, I spoke to Adobe Support for over an hour, and after that support person tried his ideas, I referred him to this url.  After a while he said he was escalating the problem.  How far will that go?  Don't know. 

But we are researching getting a volume license for upgrading Snow leopard to Mountain Lion.  That could be another bucket of worms, but our primary use for the iMac's is Adobe, so we have to do something.  Time is short.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 1:51 PM   in reply to bboc01

I uninstalled and put 5.5 back on for this year. Crunch time is here and it is time to cut bait. I wonder if next year the CS suite will only work on Windows 8 since Windows 7 will be an out dated OS??

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 2:27 PM   in reply to Bill.Grutz

Like it or not, there are way less issues on Windows than Mac.

You can still use CS6 on WinXP which is now almost 11 years old.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 4:04 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

I would agree with Bob's advice that you do a clean install of your Mac OS X environment. Then reinstall the Creative Suite. That will almost surely solve your problem.

However, I'm not as pessimistic as Bob, and my experience is that most Mac OS X users are able to do an in-place install to upgrade most of the time. (But you should do a backup before installation to revert to if necessary.)

The only reason Win XP is supported for so long is not because it has any special virtue, it's just that Microsoft screwed up so badly for many years with Windows Vista, and most users stuck with what they knew. And Adobe figures out what OS to support by the NUMBER OF USERS for that platform.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 4:33 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

Microsoft has also been much more careful about maintaining backward compatibility. That of course, has its good and bad points.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 8:50 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

@Bob,

That is certainly true. It will be interesting to see how the Windows world adapts to Windows 8 which looks like it's making some major changes.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 4:43 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

I have it running on a MacBook Air through Boot Camp as well as a desktop test machine. I've installed CS6 on the desktop and when I have some time I'll install it on MBA and give it a test drive.

I haven't tried anything older than CS6 though but I really like the changes in Win 8. It will undoubtedly cause some issues. Interesting times!

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 5:35 AM   in reply to Carlos1327

Read post 13.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 6:06 AM   in reply to Carlos1327

You’re entitled to be as certain as you’d like to be and you may even be right, but there’s a long history of Adobe/Apple incompatibilities and enough blame to go around for both sides.

Unfortunately, troubleshooting something like this is way out of my area of expertise.

As for your statistics, given that only one or two people are here posting about this issue, it tells me it’s not quite as widespread as you think.

BTW, have you tried the Apple forums to see if anyone can help there?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 9:45 AM   in reply to Carlos1327

In my case, twenty-five iMac's are involved.  All came in with Snow Leopard.  All then had CS4 installed.  Other than Microsoft Office, no other products were installed except for three units.  They ran this way for a year and a half until I installed CS6 and ran into this problem.  I have ten other units that still have CS4.

Widespread or not, there are a number of institutions that have had their plans hampered by this problem.

We can only hope that Adobe is working this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 9:47 AM   in reply to Carlos1327

Well, if you come up with something, please come back and post it.

It might be of use to other users.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 7:11 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

No reply from Adobe as yet.  What is their usual modus operandi?  Do they just never respond if they have no answer?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 12:35 PM   in reply to Carlos1327

I am having exactly the same problem on 25 lab iMacs, and I have also tried everything possible to make it work. It would really be great to have an answer

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 7:21 AM   in reply to waln

OK.  I called Adobe first thing this morning and my ticket had NOT been escalated as I had been told.  Rather than bore you with the details, I insisted that this be escalated to second level.  I just now got a call from 2nd level.  Adobe acknowledges that there is an issue with 10.6, but they have no fix.  They are trying to work with Apple.  They hold out no particular hope that the problem will be fixed in the near future.  But they know that 10.7 and 10.8 work and suggest that we upgrade.  We will probably do that, although it is crunch time.

So no joy, but at least they got back to me.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 4:46 PM   in reply to Carlos1327

I'm trying to get my lab set up for the school year and am having the same problems.  I'm using 10.8 server and as teh OS on my desktops and have yet to find a way to get CS6 apps to open under a managed account. 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 7:18 AM   in reply to mikejoens

Continuation of #29 - I upgraded one of the iMac's to Mountain Lion and then held my breath to see if the other apps moved OK.  They did, and now CS6 will run in Managed mode.   Twenty-four more units and we are still OK.  Four of them have Final Cut Pro and that seems to be OK also (I say "seems" because the teacher did a quick check to see, nothing extensive).  The only other apps we have on the units are Microsoft Office 2008 and 2011. 

As an aside, Parental Controls is still a pain.  I had to set the student accounts to admin, fire up all the apps, then change the accounts back to managed.  That cleans Parental Controls up, then of course I had to run through all the settings for each unit, then log on as the student and allow the things that still come up, such as a CS6 control app.

Not fun, didn't quite hit everything done before classes started, but we're OK until the next crisis.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2012 1:01 PM   in reply to Carlos1327

I have CS6 Master Collection running just fine in a managed, non-admin account, on 10.6.8 machines. I am doing this via the local machine, without the use of a OS X Server. Does the problem just seem to be associated with using Parental Controls? Please let me know, I hope I can help

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 3:52 AM   in reply to psko

Hi

I'm having the same same problem, when I open CS6 with a managed network user, running an external account, (on external HDD) I keep getting the message  'You don't have permission to run Adobe_licutil'.

I work at an FE college I have 4 labs of 10.6.8 client Macs which I'm managing with 10.6.8 OS X Server on a Mac Mini server using managed preferences through workgroup manager. I'm also running one 10.8 client as a test before moving all the labs over to Mountain Lion and the server to 10.8 OSX Server.

I found Adobe_licutil on the  in two locations residing in /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Application Manager/LWA & in the P6 folder in the same location and allowed these and their respective folders to the managed groups/users I have but I still get the same message.

I have tried this on both the 10.6 and 10.8 clients but they are both the same.

Looking at what I can find online some people say moving to 10.8 has fixed this issue but it hasn't worked for me yet!

It seems crazy that CS6 won't work in a managed legacy OS X environment when Adobe say it will work with 10.6.8! 

Would be really grateful of any help from anyone with this as I have students in and they can't access anything in the suite!

I'm now looking at rolling back to CS5.5 but is a hell of a pain to do now.

Many Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 5:18 AM   in reply to SimonGCFE

Simon -

Because the same symptom that you have with Workgroup Manager and Adobe_licutil also shows up when Parental Controls are used, I suggest trying the same cure. 

And because I'm not sure of the linkage with Workgroup Manager, I can only tell you what I have done with Parental Controls to refresh whatever it is that keeps the settings static.

I make the user an admin user, restart, logon as the user, and execute all the applications that are used normally.  Then I go back and change that user back to Managed and redo the Parental Contols settings.

So (and I'm doing some educated guessing here), you might remove the settings in Workgroup Manager for that user or group, and then logon and execute the apps.  Then restore the settings.

Please let me know if you are successful because I need to start using Workgroup Manager myself.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 11:18 AM   in reply to Carlos1327

As I said ealier, I have CS6 Master Collection running just fine in a managed, non-admin account, in 10.6.8. The specs of the machine are unimportant. I have whitelisted (allowed) the following: /Library, and /Applications. Simple as that. No joke. Trying to blacklist too much is the problem here.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2012 5:29 AM   in reply to psko

psko -

I will have to confess that in this context, I don't know what whitelist means.  But if it means that everyone has access to these folders, then it defeats the purpose that I am using it for.

Simon -

I did get Workgroup Manager to work, but unlike PC which allows you to OK a child app, WGM requires you to find the child app that fails and add it to the allowed application list.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2012 8:07 AM   in reply to bboc01

"If you checked  "allow users to manage this computer" in system preferences it is not a managed account. Trying to set this up locally does not work."

Not true.  OD or AD accounts are Managed, but may also be admins. But this is not the case in my Mac labs. I am doing this via the local machine.

"So (and I'm doing some educated guessing here), you might remove the settings in Workgroup Manager for that user or group, and then logon and execute the apps.  Then restore the settings."

Just set the radio button (in Workgroup Manager, Applications) to "Never," save, and then start over using my method.

"I will have to confess that in this context, I don't know what whitelist means.  But if it means that everyone has access to these folders, then it defeats the purpose that I am using it for. I did get Workgroup Manager to work, but unlike PC which allows you to OK a child app, WGM requires you to find the child app that fails and add it to the allowed application list."

You people are making things hard on yourselves here.

It is all very simple. One more time, just allow following:

/Library/

/Applications/

Then just disallow any applications that you want.

Whitelist.gif

The problem described here is that non-admin users cannot run Adobe Creative Suite 6, correct? So, if the users are not admins, then they cannot copy anything to those folders. Hence, there is no issue. They cannot run applications from any other folder, either. Test it.

Clear as mud?

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points