Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Upgrading from LR4 to 4.1

Jun 24, 2012 7:18 PM

Tags: #lr4.1 #update-problem

I'm trying to download the new Lightroom 4.1 update, but get the message in Chrome on a PC "Insufficient Permission"  I have installed legal copy and am using Lightroom 4.0 so what does this mean, why won't the new update install?  Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2012 11:00 PM   in reply to the swedish advisor

You are not telling us anything about your computer. This has nothing to do with LR, this is a generic system problem. Either you have no write permissions to the folder you are trying to download to or are generalyl running with insufficient user privileges.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 12:43 AM   in reply to the swedish advisor

Have you tunred off your security tools and UAC? If the updater doesn't even "see" your current install, then something is blocking the caps.db and/or the pertinent Registry entrries, because that's what it goes looking for. If it's not a security tool, you may indeed have a permission problem eitehr on the relevant files or the registry. Anyway, you can only find that out the hard way using tools like Sysinternals System Monitor. The otehr, probably simpler way would be to uninstall and then reinstall....

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 8:55 AM   in reply to the swedish advisor

UAC stands for User Account Control settings.  You can adjust this under the User Account setting in your Control Panels.  As for the insufficient permissions do you receive this when you double click on the downloaded exe or when trying to download the install files themselves?

I might recommend creating a new adminstrator account to see if you still receiving the Insufficient privelages under that account.  You can create the new adminsitrator account in the User Account control panel as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 11:32 AM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

I am not the original poster, but I started having this problem in Vista as well. It affects me whether I am trying to download the file, or even if I download it and move it over to that machine. It seems to be related to an update or something. Recently I was able to download a bunch of stuff OK.

I just got this machine setup form scratch, downloaded and installed some things to test with fine. I don't normally use Vista, so I tried to download the LR4 trial to install and test and see how it worked. I can copy it over fine, but it can't unzip files, and I cannot download a copy from the internet using IE or chrome.

John

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points