Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Sound and video are choppy since installing Flash Player 11.3

Jun 8, 2012 7:51 PM

I'm having a problem here!  Since I updated Adobe Flash Player 11.3, the audio and video are all choppy when I play Adobe Flash game apps in Facebook!  Even when I disabled hardware acceleration, the sound and video are STILL choppy!  Even I watch a YouTube video and the sound and video are a bit choppy!  There's DEFINITELY some sound issues in Flash Player 11.3!  I'm using Firefox 13 in Windows XP SP3.  I'm wondering if you have any answers for the sound issues in FP 11.3. 

Replies
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Jun 8, 2012 11:52 PM   in reply to angeldeb82

Because this is happening in Firefox, could you do a quick test for me and let me know if it changes the behavior?  Temporarily disable your protected mode by following the steps in this FAQ.  Make sure to revert your change when done.

How do I disable Flash Player's protected mode for Firefox?

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Jun 9, 2012 4:16 PM   in reply to angeldeb82

Ok, thank you for trying.  Are you seeing this behavior in any other browser (Internet Explorer or Chrome)?

Can you open a new bug report on this at bugbase.adobe.com?  Please include a copy of your dxdiag report, a specific URL that causes this to happen, and a link to this thread.  Finally, if you would, please post back with the bug's URL or number so that others affected can add their comments and votes.

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Jun 9, 2012 7:11 PM   in reply to angeldeb82

Unfortunately, without a bug report and dxdiag output we'll be at a disadvantage for getting this fixed.  We really need to know your system configuration to be able to address this issue.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 13, 2012 4:43 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Have you made any progress on this issue?  I have also been experiencing choppy sound since the upgrade a couple of days ago - both on Firefox (which happens a lot after a Flash upgrade) and Chrome (!!)  Using html5 fixes non-ad supported YouTube videos - but need to watch Vimeo videos for my research and they are also affected by this flash bug.

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3212648

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Jun 13, 2012 6:12 PM   in reply to starsweeper711

Nothing new to report yet.  I just pinged the Video/Audio team so hopefully I'll know more soon.  In the meantime, you might want to revert back to a previous version of Flash Player.

How do I revert to a previous version of Flash Player?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 12:39 AM   in reply to angeldeb82

Hi Adobe!

Same problems with occasional choppy sound with Flash Player 11.3. Using IE 8 on Windows XP (SP-3) all updates are installed.  For example, if I play Word Spell at GameScene.com, their is some static noise when the mouse button is pressed to make the words.  I have included the link to the site so you can see for yourself, if you have a Windows XP (SP-3) machine.  An uninstall and reinstall of Flash Player 11.3 did not solve the problem.  The issue is very noticeable, like an occasional sound of static.  Here is the Word Spell game so you guys can see for yourself:

http://gamescene.com/Word_Spell.html

I hope this helps with the bug.

Regards,

Satch

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 7:43 AM   in reply to satchman1000

I to was having this issue with flash player verizon 11.3 i already followed all the steps and am running the 10.3. Just wanted to let you know

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 7:50 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I'm experiencing the same problem on firefox, but not Chrome.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 6:48 PM   in reply to chris kole

The uninstall of 11.3 and reinstall of 10.3 worked for me. The problem was consistant on both IE8 and Chrome (youtube). Playing a cd in windows media player worked fine which is how i knew it wasn't a speaker/driver issue with my sound system.

Good luck witht the hunt.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 8:06 PM   in reply to angeldeb82

I am so glad that I am not the only one.  Ever since I installed 11.3, the sound has (on somethings) been choppy.  I have tried 11.3 on IE9, Chrome and Firefox13 and the sound is choppy in all of them.  I have tried the Adobe solutions and they did not help.  I have Windows Starter if that matters.

I want to switch to an earlier version.  There are several versions of 10.3.  Which one did you use?

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 10:16 AM   in reply to angeldeb82

Over here at MOG we're seeing issues with audio skipping and distortion for our users who have recently upgraded to Flash Player 11.3. When we have them downgrade to 10.3 the problems go away. After some debugging it seems that the issues arrise when the stream buffer has fluctuations, but not empty (possibly goes below some threshold). This is a big deal for our service and we're going to be instructing users to downgrade until the issue is fixed. Let us know how we can help get this resolved ASAP.

I should also say that we're seeing this issue manifest in Chrome, Firefox and Safari. Haven't tested IE yet, but we're getting community complaints from this browser.

Thanks, Stephen (Director of Product at MOG).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 12:38 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I've had this issue since updating Flash as well. The problem is very bad in the latest version of Firefox (I made sure the Flash plugin was up to date), and not so bad in Internet Explorer. It seems to have no problem in Chrome or Safari. FYI I am on a PC with Windows XP Sevice Pack 3, all updated.

Specifically, the problem is this. When using a Flash player (audio or video) on any web page, while doing activity in another tab or window on the same browser, the sound or video stutters and chops up. Like, just mousing over links in a webpage will cause the sound to jump and stutter in time with the mouse actions. Really annoying. I reverted to an older Flash version a couple weeks ago and that fixed the issue.

Then today I was prompted to update Adobe Flash. I did so, and the problem returned (I hoped maybe you'd fixed it by now). Guess I will go uninstall Flash and install the older version again. sigh...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 12:10 AM   in reply to ferrarabrainpan

Could you please try to disable hardware acceleration on Firefox and see:

Click Tools > Option > Advanced.

Uncheck the Use hardware acceleration when available option.

Thanks,

Sunil

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 3:34 PM   in reply to Sunil_Bhaskaran

I tried disabling hardware acceleration on FF 13.0.1 and it didn't fix the problem.  I hear choppy audio in FF and Chrome but for me IE appears to work fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 7:51 PM   in reply to angeldeb82

I just installed flash 11.3.300.262 in Firefox 13.0.1 on Windows xp sp3. I had hoped that this release would fix the issue, but it did not, I have tried disabling hardware acceleration, to no avail. Since installing the latest Flash version, I have experienced the problem in Firefox, which is my preferred browser and also in the current version of Chrome. IE, my least favored browser is seemingly immune to the problem, so when I need to watch or listen to streaming flash video or audio, I start IE.

Will I have to keep doing this forever, or will it be fixed for Firefox? I have not taken the step of uninstalling Flash 11 and reverting to Flash 10, and I am reluctant to do so for a variety of reasons. If I do so, I will have to disable future automatic updates and somehow evaluate each new release without installing it, to find out if it fixes the problem. If I know it will be weeks or months before it is fixed , I'll downgrade, but if it might be fixed this week, I'll make do with IE. Is there any estimate on when and whether it will be fixed?

I believe I am also seeing the same problems on my Ubuntu Linux laptop with the most recent versions of Firefox and Flash, but I need to do some more tests.

I appreciate the input from the representative of MOG above, since his input is weighty and Adobe and  Mozilla may fell compelled to act on it in a timely fashion.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 8:13 PM   in reply to loutate

loutate wrote:

I want to switch to an earlier version.  There are several versions of 10.3.  Which one did you use?

I recommend to revert to 11.2.202.235; download it from http://forums.adobe.com/message/4506372#4506372; see the instructions on the top of that topic.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 2:09 PM   in reply to nhpeacenik

Now I'm getting the problem in IE too.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 12:53 AM   in reply to angeldeb82

I'm having the same problems in FF, Chrome and IE. IE was immuned to the previous update but this latest update also made the audio choppy. Installing the previous versions now.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 3:54 AM   in reply to angeldeb82

I was having the exact same "Choppy Audio" problem in Firefox 13.0.1, windows xp sp3, using Flash 11.3 plugin.

Problem completely fixed. I uninstalled Flash plugin 11.3 and re-installed Flash 10.3. NO more CHOPPY AUDIO! Finally.

I had checked Drivers, DMA, everything else didn't work. Root cause seems to be some issue with Flash 11.3.

Hope this saves someone else some time and headaches.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to daniel21Hardybz73

How did you install flash player 10.3? I downloaded it but it's in a Win.Rar zip file. Not sure what to do

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Jun 25, 2012 11:37 AM   in reply to chris kole

Here's a post that contains the latest news on audio problems in 11.3: Flash Player 11.3 Audio Update

For rolling back to a previous version, please see this FAQ: How do I revert to a previous version of Flash Player? (Updated)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to chris kole

Hello Chris,

I used "IZArc", a type of zip software that unzips alot of different file formats. Install it, right click on .rar file, choose "extract here". I looked through the folders unzipped (not the "debug" folder) and clicked on the "flashplayer10_3r183_18_win" file that is listed by file type as "Windows Installer Package". It has a little icon of a little computer with a little cd disk.

Hope that helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2012 6:19 AM   in reply to daniel21Hardybz73

Ever since i upgraded to 11.3 i had nothing but trouble  with you tube vids and also playing zynga poker through facebook...using firefox....does not occur in ie8.......choppy sound and vids!!!!

reverted back to..10.3.183.20 version....

Problem Solved!!!!

Hope this solves your problem..

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2012 11:55 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I've tried all these suggestons but no avail. But here's some information:

List of machines I have tested:-

Windows xp media centre (wired) flash 11.4

vaio laptop (Wired) flash 11.4

Android phone (wireless)

Netbook (wreless) flasj 11.4

It's only the old XP media machine with sp3 with choppy sound  problem . Problem is only streaming replay from internet (iPlayer, IE and Firefox). It worked fine until 2 weeks ago' Video still plays over local network as well as ever.

All other machines pass video and audio smoothly and all work on up to date flash.

Other video and local files play smoothly. I downloaded A you tube viedeo that would not play properly when streamed from youtube then  embedded it in a web page from my local hard drive and it worked fiine.

hope that helps

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2012 1:03 PM   in reply to angeldeb82

Hello Chris,

I solved my sound stammer, which affected only streaming like youtubr and Iplayer and did not affect media players from local files. It was a "hi-face" digital spdif usb dongle that had been altered (I didn't do it but it was straight after a Microsoft update) there's a mixer setting that was on when it should have been off. Problem disappeared and was obviously linked to this but I don't understand how. Meddle-soft also took it upon themselves to change all my audio file associations back to their media player, for which I;m eternally ungrateful.

des this help?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2012 3:00 PM   in reply to angeldeb82

Check the pluggins and disable the BROWSER default flash app.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 11:17 AM   in reply to angeldeb82

I found this site by searching for a solution to my "choppy" audio problem  Evidently versions beyond 10.3 drop audio packets on old XP media machines with sp3.  I fixed mine and someone else's by rolling back to 10.3.  What a relief to have useable sound again!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 9:42 PM   in reply to 423jc

Hey Guys,

What's up?

I have had choppy sound on Windows XP with Adobe Flash ever since Flash 11.  I don't want to downgrade to version 10 for security concerns.  I get the choppy sound whether on Firefox 22 (latest version) or IE 8 (Highest allowed for Windows XP.)  The sound is choppy when playing any streaming video on You Tube if I do either of the following:

1.) Adjust the volume control in the System Tray when playing a video.

2.) Use the Vertical Scrollbars in either Firefox or IE.

Adobe, please work on a patch to fix this!  A downgrade to Flash Player 10 is a workaround security risk and not a fix.  I don't know what the latest version is, but I hope that before Adobe gets to version 12 that this is resolved.

Sincerely,

Joe

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points