Skip navigation
Roger_Beagle
Currently Being Moderated

Need to know how to save printed image settings

Jun 25, 2012 12:02 PM

Tags: #printer_setup_saving

Photo printing setups; when printing a picture you have to make the following settings;

• (1) Select printer.
  • (2) Printer Settings.
  • (3) Select paper size.
  • (4) Select Type of Prints.
  • (5) Select print size.

After doing this printing a draft copy or coming back a few day later wanting another copy printed.

You go to edit load the file for picture to print, select create and you have to redefine the print all over again, this even after printing a draft copy and its OK and want to print 10 copies, you have to go back to Create and completely reset up to duplicate the draft picture you just printed.

When save an edited and formatted picture all that is saved is the edited and format digital image file.

I may want to print the image different sizes, on different types of paper, but Photo Shop doesn’t allow save the printed image files setup perimeter’s and tying the different print image setup to image file.

So I have to maintain a file folder Excel files that list all the setup parameter’s need to print that uses this the image file as is primary image.

Have I missed a Photo Shop function, that does this? 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 25, 2012 12:10 PM   in reply to Roger_Beagle

Unfortunately the settings are not sticky.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,810 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 25, 2012 12:49 PM   in reply to Roger_Beagle

Lightroom 4 will let you save your own print pre-sets, including aspect ratio and ppi settings. You can also save custom collage settings and print to file as well as paper. 

It may be worth taking a look.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 6:03 AM   in reply to Roger_Beagle

Roger_Beagle wrote:

So I have to maintain a file folder Excel files that list all the setup parameter’s need to print that uses this the image file as is primary image.

Have I missed a Photo Shop function, that does this? 

My thoughts about this question of saving different 'print settings' or 'print presets':

- It's an important and legitimate concern for all those printing regularly

- PSE does not help in that matter, but most of the other editing programs I know of are not better in that respect

- I definitely think that keeping track of different presets is the problem of the Printer software, not the editor. You may want to use different settings for the same picture on your printer : so do I.

But I may use different printers for the same picture, and the settings for different printers are not standard, they must be customized.

So, what I am doing is to create different custom presets to be saved in my different printers depending on my purpose. I can do that on my HP and Epson printers. When in PSE, I can choose the 'advanced' settings and select the right printer profile for my purpose.

That may not be the process you are looking for, but I think it may look natural and help a lot of people who missed the opportunity to create those presets in their own printer software.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 6:31 AM   in reply to MichelBParis

PSE Editor does not "format" the file, in my experience

If you work on picture A, enhance it, then save it, then work on picture B, save it, then reopen picture A again, the print parameters previously established are no longer in operation.

I use Microsoft WORD for letter writing. I have a document with a header, type the letter, print it, save it, close.

Go through the same drill for another letter, then reopen the first letter, and the parameters for printing remain sticky. I attribute this to the software.

I have a greeting card program. I set it up to print in landscape orientation (folded card). Print the back side, flip the paper, but have to change the orientation from portrait(default) to landscape again in the print dialog for the front side

That's how it is in my universe. Printer: Lexmark Pro 205.

My experience duplicates that of OP.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 7:16 AM   in reply to hatstead

hatstead wrote:

My experience duplicates that of OP.

Did you try to save in .PSD format ?

I don't have the full Photohop CS so I wonder if it has more power than PSE, which should be natural.

I don't see how a jpeg format could store all printing info, especially for different printers.

My contribution was to offer a working solution for users having this problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 8:09 AM   in reply to MichelBParis

I appreciate that. It's a topic we haven't discussed recently (if ever).  Post #3 from 99jon re Lightroom 4 providing print presets probably is the way to go.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to hatstead

hatstead wrote:

I appreciate that. It's a topic we haven't discussed recently (if ever).  Post #3 from 99jon re Lightroom 4 providing print presets probably is the way to go.

Yes, the way LR saves presets is the smart one.

My recent tests show that saving as .PSD works the same. And if you compare Word and Photoshop, it seems natural that each can save presets in its own proprietary format.

Of course, I am not ready to use the big PSD format just for saving printing presets...

I said I did not see how a jpeg format could save at least some settings (independent from the printer brand specificities). For the pleasure of discussing this matter, I might suggest that the jpeg format is able to store metada in the file itself. For instance, all ACR settings for jpegs processed in ACR are in a custom section for Adobe. Why not add the last printing settings, just like in the PSD format ?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points