Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

how to convert to 1 color black from rgb black

Jun 25, 2012 11:49 AM

I have a very large document [more than 500 pages]  created from a variety of legacy indesign and pagemaker files. I have assmemled various chapters into 1 book and exported that to pdf.

teh pritner jsut came back to me with a request to change to 1 color black instead of RGB and CMYK. The document is  black and white only - there is no color. Some text is gray  and some is  reversed out as white.

From scouring the forums - I understand that  it has somethign to do with transparency blend space- have set that to cmyk.

Also, I have found that in Acrobat 10 - using -tools - print production - convert colors - and choosing a greyscale for conversion profile should do the trick.

Is there no way to ensure creating teh correct output  in inDesign? no global export option?

I am using CS 5.5 in Windows 7

Thanks

Ann

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 25, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to notannsteer

Are there linked images in the file? I run into this sometimes with images that look like greyscale, but are actually RGB. I find them by turning on separations, and turning off the black plate. With the file view reduced, it's easy to see where the errant colors are coming from.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 12:21 PM   in reply to notannsteer

I don't know of a setting, but you could try this:

In your Swatches panel, choose "Add Unnamed Colors". This should add all the various blacks from the source files. Then just delete all the blacks except the default one from the doucment. There will be a dialog that asks what to replace them with; choose the default black. As long as its icon looks like this

Screen shot 2012-06-25 at 3.20.20 PM.png

you can be sure that it is made of black ink only.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,139 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jun 25, 2012 12:46 PM   in reply to notannsteer

If black is converting to 4-colors then there is a profile mismatch somewhere—you're exporting using a destination profile that conflicts with your document's profile, or you are including profiles with the exported PDF and your printer is inadvertantly making the conversion. The simplest solution is to use the default PDF/X-1a preset, which sets the destination to Document CMYK and does not include profiles.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 12:46 PM   in reply to notannsteer

If the file is not confidential, I'd be happy to take a look at it. Without the acutal file in front of me, I afraid I'm out of ideas.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,139 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jun 25, 2012 12:51 PM   in reply to notannsteer

it seems that the basic black is  cmyk black and although there are no values for cmy - it shows up as cmyk

InDesign has no grayscale color space. Colors can only be CMYK, RGB, or Lab.

There's not a problem if black is exporting as 0|0|0|100 CMYK—your printer can simply output the Black separation.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,139 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jun 25, 2012 1:01 PM   in reply to notannsteer

You can quickly see if there is CMY in the document via separation setup in either ID or Acrobat. Open the Separation Preview panel and turn off the Black channel:

Screen shot 2012-06-25 at 3.58.26 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-06-25 at 3.58.19 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 1:36 PM   in reply to notannsteer

If a placed file is RGB, InDesign can't do anything about that. The file would has to be made as only black in its original program. I run into this from time to time with files created in AutoCad. I have to convert them to greyscale in Illustrator.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,139 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jun 25, 2012 3:21 PM   in reply to notannsteer

It would have been nice to control this within InDesign though

You can in CS6. CS6 lets you export a PDF to grayscale. You just have to watch out for unwanted value changes.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points