Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Content aware leaving outline

Jun 23, 2012 4:20 PM

I used content aware on a bag on the forground of a picture. Worked ok, but left an outline. I got rid of that ok with healing and clone.

But some wirse in sky, it's leaving an outline that is no better than the wires themselves. any tips? thanks.

CS5

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 23, 2012 4:45 PM   in reply to kevin4545

This is the Lightroom forum. I suggest you post your question in the Photoshop forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 5:24 PM   in reply to kevin4545

No "content aware" in Lr,

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 5:48 PM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

Moved from Lightroom Forum.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 23, 2012 6:16 PM   in reply to kevin4545

I've found that using 0 feathering and turning off anti-aliasing often gives better results.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 7:34 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Which tool are you using??

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 8:47 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Most likely you're selecting the inside of the wire, and not the fuzzy edges.

With the content aware option, you're better off selecting a bit outside the wires (say 3 pixels or more outside the fuzzy edges).

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 23, 2012 8:49 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Sorry, I should have been more explicit - I meant to say use 0 feathering and turn off anti-aliasing in the selection tool you use.  For example the Polygonal Lasso Tool.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 12:09 PM   in reply to kevin4545

I usually use the spot healing brush (set a bit larger than the wires), or quickmask and a paintbrush set to about the same size.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 1:12 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

I use Chris' method most often, and it that does not get me what I want, then the Clone Stamp, followed by the Healing Brush to get the "texture" of the Cloned "sky" back.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 3:29 PM   in reply to kevin4545

In my experience

kevin4545 wrote:

I used content aware on a bag on the forground of a picture. Worked ok, but left an outline. I got rid of that ok with healing and clone.

But some wirse in sky, it's leaving an outline that is no better than the wires themselves. any tips? thanks.

CS5

In my experience you get an outline when

a) the selection is not large enough, and/or

b) the feathering value is too small.

I get rid of such outlines by

a) increasing the selection by let's say 5 pixels (>Selection >Modify >Enlarge) but the amount is dependant on how big your selection is in relation to the image, and I migh tincrease the selection by 10 pixels if necessary;

b) increase feathering to maybe 5 pixels.

You have to play around with these values a bit. These are not hard rules; every image is different. With time you will know intuitively which values to choose.

But sometimes you can't avoid to clean up with the clone tool afterward.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to kevin4545

kevin4545 wrote:

Chris: with spot healing you dont get a selection do you? I don't see running ants. When I do edit fill, content is greyed out.

Web, so you disagree with Noel, he says feathering 0.

I don`t disagree with Noel because the feathering depends on the image content, i.e. the surrounding of the area of content-aware fill.

But often I find that with feathering at 0 you see an edge between the filled area and its surrounding. If you do content aware fill with wires going through a fairly uniform sky, feathering 0 might give acceptable results. But if you had - let`s say - a picture of a beach and on the beach is a piece of ugly flotsam, you would probably need more feathering to blend the filled-in part with its surroundings.

As I said there are no hard and fast rules; experiment with it. Every picture is different.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 12:21 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Well, you can call the clone / heal tool content aware but this term refers to "content aware fill" in >Edit >Fill >Content aware.

You can use any selection tool for making the selection for content aware fill, the lasso, quick selection tool, magic wand. You use the selection tool that's best for the purpose. After the selection has been made, you fine-tune it for size, feather, etc.

For "wiry wires" I'd use the polygonal lasso.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 3:57 PM   in reply to kevin4545

They don't. You use them after content-aware fill to clean up. Or you use them instead of content aware fill.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 4:32 PM   in reply to kevin4545

kevin4545 wrote:

…pity, would be great if you could select with healing!

That is totally absurd. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 4:51 PM   in reply to kevin4545

>Select >Modify >Feather.

Kevin4545, you need to watch some tutorials on Photoshop. You need at least to know the basics.

Or else, you'd spend your time posting questions and waiting for the answer.

See here: http://www.adobe.com/designcenter-archive/video_workshop/

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 5:07 PM   in reply to kevin4545

OK, rusty it is. But video tutorials help remove rust, too 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status