Skip navigation
Forsaken Pariah
Currently Being Moderated

Highlighting Problems

Jun 10, 2012 7:10 PM

This is so weird. I have Adobe Acrobat X. I download PDF's for school, and highlight them. When I first got adobe, I could click on the highlight tool and then click to highlight a passage, and a box would come up and would ask me if Adobe could... for lack of better words, process the document so that it could recognize the text that needed to be highlighted. Once this process was done, the highlighting tool would work perfectly and everything saved as normal. Well, one day I selected the highlight tool, clicked on the text, the box came up and I clicked the little box that said, "dont ask me this again", assuming that from now on when I clicked the highlighting tool Adobe would just do its thing by processing the document and all would just be hunky-dory. WRONG. Now the highlighting tool doesnt work at all and then when ever I save a .pdf and then try to reopen it, the first page just shows up blank. Super annoying. Any suggestions Adobe gods?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 10, 2012 11:49 PM   in reply to Forsaken Pariah

Hi Saken,

Although I am not quite sure which dialog box you are talking about, but if you can give me the workflow i would possibly be able to let you know the registry entry to UNDO- "dont ask me again" and it will start prompting again. If that helps you.

Highlight text tool doesn't really add any extra page. There must be something else.

~Sandeep V.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 9:00 AM   in reply to Forsaken Pariah

I need the steps to get to that dialog box. Like, if i click on this and then do that......I will get the prompt that shows a check box "don't ask me again".

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 3:27 PM   in reply to Forsaken Pariah

So here is what you are looking for:

Registry Key - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\10.0\AVAlert\cCheckbox

DWORD: iPaperCaptureOfferToRunOCR

Value: 1 (Don't Show)

0 (Show)

nJoy!!!

~Sandeep V.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 1:38 AM   in reply to Forsaken Pariah

O... No worries! That's no rocket science. You can watch this video and many other to know how to edit Registry entries:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNl-n0oLVfA

Make sure you backup the Registry before you modify it. Read this:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Back-up-the-registry

Alternatively (for simplicity), copy and paste the below mentioned text (in green) in notepad-> Click on File Menu->SaveAs-> Name it "TestAdobe.reg". ***SELECT 'ALL FILES' in SaveAs Type dropdow and save it on the desktop. Once you see it on desktop, double click on it and allow it to run.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\10.0\AVAlert\cCheckbox]

"iPaperCaptureOfferToRunOCR"=dword:00000001

Relaunch Acrobat and it should do the job for you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points