Skip navigation
deandagati
Currently Being Moderated

Issues key framing 3D effects on AE CS6.

Jun 26, 2012 12:37 AM

Tags: #particles #3d #animation #keyframing #3d_effects

Hi everyone,

I'm new to After Effects, so it's entirely possible that I'm doing something wrong here, but after a little web searching it seems like this is a strange bug in AE. Would love some advice.

Here's what's going on.

When I'm using the CC Particle World effect in a 3D environment with a virual camera and I try to move the camera in 3D space with no keyframes enabled, everything behaves as expected. As soon as I add a keyframe though, everything starts to fall apart. If I add a couple keyframes and try to have the camera track in, nothing happens in the preview window at all. If I render the RAM Preview, I do see the desired effect, but it glitches at the point of the keyframe. And how can I get any work done if I have to RAM Preview just to see every change I've made?

I recorded a screen grab to show you guys exactly what's happening:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17427924/aeproblems-hq.mp4

(high quality, ~79 MB)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17427924/aeproblems-lq.mp4

(low quality, ~14 MB)

Am I crazy? Am I doing something wrong?

I'm using After Effects CS6 on a brand new MacBook Pro with Retina Display. After Effects needs to be scaled up to display properly on the Retina Display, could that be causing any issues?

Thanks very much for your help!

-Dean

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2012 3:03 AM   in reply to deandagati

I've just tried replicating the issue using AE CS6 (11.0.1.12) on a non-retina Macbook Pro and can't - it seems to work just fine for me.  It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the fancy new hardware is related, I suppose.

It's reminiscent of some of the early OpenGL issues that AE experienced... or perhaps some kind of caching problem?

Do you see the same behaviour if you use the Camera tools, rather than just scrubbing numerical values?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2012 3:09 AM   in reply to deandagati

And how can I get any work done if I have to RAM Preview just to see every change I've made?

Artists successfully have doen so for the last 20 years. The rest are cache issues. Some of them have been fixed in the 11.0.1 update, otehrs can be made to behave by turning off the disk cache in the prefs.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points