Skip navigation
jenhosk
Currently Being Moderated

Branched (was Re: Troubleshooting 101: Export to .idml or .inx to clear file corruption)

Jun 25, 2012 2:44 PM

I am working on a fairly large file, a 220 page, image heavy, catalogue. I have done most of the troubleshooting tips, as the online research has suggested. This is at my work computer and was just upgraded to Windows 7 and use CS5.5. Everytime I export the catalogue to PDFs (in sections), Indesign crashes either during the export or right after the export. I am usually a Mac user, so if you have any tips for troubleshooting on this work PC, please use newbie language.

 

I tried to export to IDML but it freezes and does not fully complete the export. When I force quit Indesign, reopen Indesign and open the IDML file, it eventually opens it, but the paragraph styles are not set. I am thinking that the export to IDML doesn't complete, which is why the styles don't export?

 

I continiously crash, so don't know if I automatically just ignore the crash reports, but I am almost positive that I don't get that crash report option. Maybe because I am on a network? If I do receive the option to attain a crash report, where do I sent it to?

 

Thanks,

Jen

Branched from an earlier discussion.
 
Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 25, 2012 2:46 PM   in reply to jenhosk

    Unfortunately you aren't getting crash reports becasue you are using Windows, not because of the network.

     

    I've branched this into a new thread becasue I think we are about to get far afield from the .inx/.idml export. You mentioned you get a crash when exporting in sections. Is that with EVERY section?

     

    Do you have any third-party plugins?

     

    Have you tried moving the pages into a new document?

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 25, 2012 3:07 PM   in reply to jenhosk

    Moving pages is actually pretty easy. Create a new file the same page size. Rename Master A to some other name that was not used in the original file that is giving you trouble. Go to the Paragraph Styles panel and open the panel flyout menu, then choose import all text styles. In the dialog pick the file that you are moving the pages from and choose incoming definitions in case of conflict. (these two precautions just ensure that nothing gets's lot because of duplicated names, but changed definitions, especially if you added something to Master A)

     

    In the old file open the Pages panel and select all the pages (click the first one, the hold Shift and click the last), the open the panel flyout menu and choose Move Pages. for the destination pick your new file, and insert the BEFORE page 1 so they don't swap sides on the spreads. Delete the empty last page in the new file, and save as with a new name. Hopefully whatever was corrupt didn't come along for the ride, but no guarantee.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 25, 2012 3:51 PM   in reply to jenhosk

    No need. They should go along for the ride (styles would too, but I was worried about soemone redefining Basic Paragraph, so if you're going to import that, you might as well impor them all).

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2012 8:54 AM   in reply to jenhosk

    Divide and conquer. Keep dividing in half anything that fails untill you isolate a page or spread, then fid the offending objects the same way, divide and conquer.

     

    Be careful moving pages in chunks. You'll lose text threading between pages that are in different batches, so you'll need to fix that manually. Also be aware that the problem might not be file corruption. Have you tried doin a Save As to the same name for the existing files to reduce the file size?

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2012 9:10 AM   in reply to jenhosk

    Do you mena links, as in placed images, etc? Those should not break when you move pages.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2012 10:06 AM   in reply to jenhosk

    Try moving one page, then the other.

     

    If one of them does not move, make a copy of the file for backup, then cut half the objects on the page to the clipboard (so you can put them back to divide again) and see if it will move. pating objects into the new file is probably NOT going to find the problem (but it might cure it).

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2012 12:03 PM   in reply to jenhosk

    Glad you found it. Complex vector objects (lots and lots of points) can really slow ID to a crawl or cause print/export problems. I've found very little reason to ever paste a vector instead of placing (which does not have the deleterious effects), The few times I've told myself it was a good idea because I could edit and colorize the vector object directly in ID I found myself want ing to re-use the edited version in some other project, and it would have been easier in the long run to do the work in Illustrator and link it after all.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2012 2:28 PM   in reply to jenhosk

    I think for a location strategy I'd sort the links by page, then use the Links panel to find the ones thaty are linked on each page, which would let you know what isn't, but it will still be very time consuming.

     
    |
    Mark as:

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)