Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

App switching on Mac with more than one InDesign window open

Jan 4, 2012 4:11 PM

I wonder if this happens to everyone or if it's something with my set-up--to be precise, having Spaces active.

In OS 10.6.8, if I have more than one InDesign document open and I switch to another application using command-tab, when I switch back to InDesign I (often) see the content of the inactive document, even though the name tab of the original, active document is highlighted.

The only way to get back to work is to click the title tab of the (supposedly) active document, or use the command-tilde shortcut, or reselect the active document name from the Window menu.

This drives me crazy as I need to check a lot of things via a browser as I'm editing. It forces me to make sure I don't have 2 ID windows open.

I'm pretty sure the same kind of thing happens in Word.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2012 12:35 PM   in reply to George Krompacky

I'm having this same problem but it happens with me regardless of how many windows are open. Did you find an answer George? Anyone else have a clue?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 1:00 PM   in reply to George Krompacky

Thanks George. I'm using Lion and I'm not sure I can turn off spaces. It's now integrated into Mission Control and there doesn't seem to be any way to deactivate it. I think I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling to see if that helps.

Regards,

David

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 2:44 PM   in reply to George Krompacky

I reduced my desktops from 16 to 1 and, sure enough, that fixed the problem! I'd gotten used to Spaces/Desktops so this may take some time to get used to!!

Thanks for the suggestion

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 12:33 PM   in reply to S3Pro

I got tired of having all my apps—I often have 8-12 opened at one—cluttering up one desktop! Yes, I could switch to InDesign and the content of the window showed up, avoiding the hassle of clicking on the title bar. But I've found that the benefit of using multiple desktops trumps the inconvenience of clicking on the title bar. FYI, for those of you having a similar problem, if you switch to the app, not by using Command-Tab but by clicking on the app in the dock, you avoid the problem. Still not as convenient, but more convenient than the switching to InDesign AND clicking on the title bar.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 7:07 PM   in reply to S3Pro

I thought I'd follow my last post up with an update. I recently upgraded to InDesign CS6 and was hoping that the problem would be solved. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. However, I did find a fix that is working for me. I noticed that when I turned the Application Frame on (found under the Windows menu) that the problem went away. I'm getting used to working this way now. I have 16 Spaces which I routinely bounce around between. And now, every time I go to InDesign it works properly!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2012 2:01 PM   in reply to George Krompacky

Solved!

I had this problem for awhile and, as I mentioned in a previous post, found a semi-satsisfactory fix by turning on the application frame. Well, I just upgraded to Mountain Lion and the problem is gone! It is back to working properly.

There's a little impetus for you to upgrade if you haven't done so already. It's only $20.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points