Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

When will Lightroom be included in Creative Cloud?

May 12, 2012 2:40 PM

Tags: #creative #cloud #creative_cloud #lightroom4 #creativecloud

Howdy,

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

I was wondering, when will Adobe include Lightroom in the Creative Cloud bundle?

Love is the Law, Love under Will.

Sincerely,

Jessica Sideways

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 12, 2012 3:59 PM   in reply to Jessica Sideways

Jessica Sideways wrote:

Howdy,

I was wondering, when will Adobe include Lightroom in the Creative Cloud bundle?

Only Adobe knows their own plans, but my guess is never.  Lightroom is the budget software, powerful but primarily targeted at hobbyists and amateurs.  Witness the "Blurb" module in LR 4.  The creative cloud is a pro bundle.

Jerry

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 4:31 PM   in reply to JerryGerber

I have to disagree -- LR is the only real professional photo management package that is available from a

recognized source.

If you want to go hobbyist, then you would use PSE which does both managment and editing and pretty well at that.

LR is aimed at professionals and serious amateurs.

Will the creative cloud ever have LR -- I suspect that depends on how much professionals use the creative cloud,

personally I am not interested.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 8:20 PM   in reply to Dennis Smith

Dennis Smith wrote:

Dennis Smith wrote:

I can agree with serious amateurs, but not professionals.  I'm not saying pros never use it, but that is not where Adobe's marketing team is aiming it. 

Read the copy here to see where I'm coming from:

http://success.adobe.com/en/na/sem/products/lightroom.html?kw=p&sdid=E SDNI&skwcid=TC|22181|lightroom||S|e|12466420702.

"Share your best shots on social networks, in web galleries and more"  is not why people who sell their photography for a living buy image processing software.

A wedding photgrapher friend of mine did use LR for a while, finding the raw conversion interface superior to that of Camera Raw, and I agree-- that aspect of LR is very powerful.  It's one of the main reasons why I use it.

But merits aside, and talking only about how Adobe has been pricing, marketing, and developing LR to date, I don't think it is destined to keep company with the CS suite on the cloud. 

Jerry

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 9:13 PM   in reply to JerryGerber

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom/faq.html

What is Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® 4?

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 software is a complete, end-to-end solution for photographers, both amateur and professional, who want to bring out the best from their photographs. It provides a comprehensive set of tools for any digital imaging tasks and uses the best of Adobe's imaging technologies, allowing photographers to achieve amazing image quality.

Who uses Lightroom 4?

Lightroom 4 is designed for photographers who want the best possible images and an intuitive, all-in-one solution for their digital photography. It includes powerful yet simple automatic adjustments and features as well as state-of-the-art advanced tools, and it's used by photographers ranging from passionate amateurs to experienced professionals.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 2:03 AM   in reply to Jessica Sideways

Adobe have indicated that Lightroom will be in the Creative Cloud subscription - see slide 19 of this pdf - just not when. They've said they will try to do so soon, and also said they'll refund if you buy Lightroom and it's included in the Cloud within 30 days.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 2:44 AM   in reply to JerryGerber
    JerryGerber wrote:
    But merits aside, and talking only about how Adobe has been pricing, marketing, and developing LR to date, I don't think it is destined to keep company with the CS suite on the cloud.

Lightroom is definitely aimed at professional  photographers and it's Adobe's stated intention that Lightroom will be included in the Creative Cloud - we just don't know exactly when.

http://lightroomsolutions.com/in-the-creative-cloud/

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/04/23/adobe-teases-unreleased-featu res-hitting-creative-cloud-in-summer-community-galleries-phonegap-dps/

http://terrywhite.com/techblog/adobe-creative-cloud/

No-one but Adobe understands why Lightroom is not already offered as part of the Cloud.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 3:00 AM   in reply to Jessica Sideways

Good lord, we don't get many Crowleyites asking questions on this forum. So how the devil are you?

(Addressed to the OP).

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 3:21 AM   in reply to JerryGerber

can I ask you Jerry what then do professionnals use instead of Lightroom? How do they keep track of their pictures? How do they treat their raw files? camera raw and lightroom develop are the same engine, so how do they do it?

Jos

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 5:47 AM   in reply to Jessica Sideways

Whoa! This is heating up way more than one guy's opinion ought to. My apologies to anyone who thought I was implying that your choice of software disparaged your photography, or professionalism.  As a former marketing guy, I offered my opinion only on the liklihood of LR appearing on Adobe's new cloud offering. 

I see signs of ambivalence in the way LR is being developed and marketed, and suspect that it will not wind up on the cloud because of the way LR is moving forward:

1) Drastic price reduction with LR 4

2) A new "book" module that is closely tied to Blurb, a low-priced publisher with much less than professional offerings. 

To address some points raised

• That marketing copy says for "professionals and amateurs" makes amateurs happy and pros sceptical. CS products don't use that kind of language.
    • During the development of  a new product (the cloud) lots of things are leaked prematurely that never come to pass.  That some feel that Adobe intended to put LR on the cloud is no guarantee it will happen.
    • I have no idea what software pros use.  The few I know use a big variety of products.  All use PS. Some also use special purpose products whose names are not household words.  One uses LR, but only for mass conversion of wedding raws.

I don't really have anything more worth saying about my off-the-cuff guess on what Adobe will do regarding LR and the cloud.

Jerry

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 10:10 AM   in reply to JerryGerber

Hey Jerry,

No heating up on this side :-) Just curious and always ready to learn.

Jos

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to JerryGerber

To get back to the "pro vs amateur" comment -- I think that PSE is the budget software.  It includeds part of LR and part of CSx -- and provides just about everything that an amateur would need -- and for under $100.

LR on the other hand is $199 to purchase (maybe its $149 now) -- its does management and has a nicer API to ACR than does PSE -- I don't see how that makes it the budget package since you also need CSx or PSE to do the real editing.

I think the price drop was to atract the non-professionals -- there are lots more of them than there are professionals - but maybe Adobe will raise the price if you ask

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 11:21 AM   in reply to Jessica Sideways

In june according to Adobe staff at the CS6 event.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 11:22 AM   in reply to Jessica Sideways

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2012 11:22 AM   in reply to Jessica Sideways

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 1:33 PM   in reply to Jessica Sideways

Great News! Lightroom 4 is now available as part of the Creative Cloud membership! Learn more from Jeff Veen on the product team blog: http://adobe.ly/Lr4CCM

|
    Mark as:
  • More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
    • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
    • 10,000+ points
    • 1,001-10,000 points
    • 501-1,000 points
    • 5-500 points