Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Drag Select Inside Points With The Direct Selection Tool While Above An Object?

Jun 26, 2012 2:54 PM

Tags: #image #user #path #selection #point #overlapping #tool #dots #order #object #drag #direct #selection_tool #above #z-index #modify #modified #direct_selection_tool #user_modified_path #white_selection_tool #over_lapping #arrangement

I'm trying to modify a path in InDesign CS5 (Fig. 2), as it is now I have to select each point individually. Becasue while you're zoomed in (Fig. 1), you can't drag and select the points. When you attempt to do that, you end up dragging the whole image.

Is there a way to drag select inside points with the direct selection tool while your directly above the image with the paths you want to select?

Fig. 1

closeup.png

Fig. 2

zoomed_out.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2012 2:57 PM   in reply to adobe1kenobe066

It might help to separate the composition into two or more layers (one for the paths and one for the image). That way, you can lock the image layer and click and drag over any or all points in the layer above it.

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 3:03 PM   in reply to adobe1kenobe066

I presume this is a clipping path?

It's really the same as any other path, as far as selecting and moving points. I sometimes resort to holding the shift key to DESELECT one point on the path, the release the key and select the same point to get started.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 2:27 AM   in reply to adobe1kenobe066

Quick answer - no.

Use direct selection cursor with Alt+Shift and clicking on a single point will select all points on a path allowing you to select all the paths within the clipping path that are not required, but there is no way of drag selecting at the moment.

Perhaps if devs are monitoring this forum they will implment it in version X !!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 2:54 AM   in reply to adobe1kenobe066

When the answers you get don't match your precepption of the question, it usually means your question was not clear. I certainly didn't understand what you were trying to do until you said "marquee."

My strategy for selecting the unselectable via marquee would be to start outside the image and marquee around some outside points you don't need along with the inside ones you want, then hold Shift and marquee around just the outer points to deselect them, but I've just done some testing, and I'm not able to select ANY points on a clipping path via marquee.

Is this path made inside ID using the Clipping Path options? If so, at least in the example above, I have to wonder why you would have checked Include Inside Edges in the options. Do you really want holes in her face?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 12:40 PM   in reply to adobe1kenobe066

You know, until Adobe implement better path selection in InDesign, your best option is to copy your clipping path into Illustrator, edit it there, then copy the finished path back into InDesign.

Sometimes you have to use a work-around to achieve what isn't available - sucks but it's the only solution.

EDIT----------------------------

Actually, thinking again about this, scratch the above and do the following:

Cut your image from inside the clipping path, convert the clipping path to an unassigned object (instead of a graphic object) then you can marquee the paths you want to delete. You can Shift-Marquee to your heart's delight, selecting and de-selecting paths until you are happy with your result. Once you've done that, you can then paste the image back inside the clipping path and you're all done. Simple!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 10:34 PM   in reply to adobe1kenobe066

You have a bad attitude.

You are asking people who owe you nothing to give you free help, and when the answer is not what you want, you insult them. For example:

adobe1kenobe066 wrote:

Why do people comment on this stuff without first testing what they are suggesting?

People like you make life harder dude, seriously.

Know the difference between the two before you feel inclined to respond.

My kingdom for someone out there with some merit and sense of accountability.

It's like, where do you people work? Are you serious? SMH.

I come to the forum to read about problems that I may not have had, with the hope that reading a solution will prepare me for the future. I also like to think through the problem and try to find a solution myself. Sometimes I'm right, and sometimes I'm wrong, but the fact that I'm trying is worth something. If I'm wrong, I expect to be told that I'm wrong, and why. That's how I and others learn. It also helps to know that going down this route didn't work, so that I don't have to try that option, and I can look down a different route. All information is valuable. It is not necessary to slap someone across the face with a dead fish for not knowing something you don't know either.

This post is a good example of something that I would be very likely to spend time trying to answer, but if all I have to look forward to is being told I'm worthless if I don't meet your exact need, I probably won't bother.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 5:05 AM   in reply to adobe1kenobe066

[Abusive post removed by forum host]

Message was edited by: Peter Spier

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 5:08 AM   in reply to Amb3rV1k1ng

Amb3rV1k1ng,

I don't know what you might be used to in other forums, but I don't tolerate that sort of post here. You can tell someone they have a bad attitude without calling them names or using questionable language, or you can simply choose to ignore them in future, which is probably the best policy.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 10:30 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Dear Mr Peter Spier

I would like to know what you found abusive about my post. I neither called the OP any name, nor used questionable language. I was direct and to the point. This user has come on this forum asking for help and when help is offered from the years of experience users have had, all the OP can do is attribute blame and fault when there is obviously user error attributed to the OP.

The methods I have suggested the OP use are valid, tried and tested, to which any user worth their salt will attest. If the OP is so inexperienced as to be unable to follow simple instruction, but then throw it back in the face of those who are here to help and advise, then they deserve to be put in their place.

Looking at the OP's history and posts on other forums there seems to be a trend for not accepting experienced advice.

I would suggest that you re-read the OP's post No. 8 and then decide who is being abusive or using questionable language;

"FAIL #1"

"Why do people comment on this stuff without first testing what they are suggesting"

"MAJOR FAILAGE"

"People like you"

"Know the difference between the two"

"My kingdom for someone out there with some merit and sense of accountability"

"It's like, where do you people work? Are you serious? SMH"

I repeat that if inexperienced posters are not prepared to take the advice of experienced users, then it is perhaps they that need to adjust their attitude.

This would just appear to be Political Correctness gone mad - If this is the attitude of the forum then I for one will no longer be dispensing my knowledge and wisdom to those in need.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 10:47 AM   in reply to Amb3rV1k1ng

My recollection is that your post was referred for moderation as abusive by another user (not the OP), and that I also found your language offensive. It has nothing at all to do with the quality or correctness of what you said, but the way in which you said it.

The OP is certainly no angel, but he didn't call anyone names or attack them personally, or use profanity.

If you keep your comments polite and professional, you are more than welcome to post. Please see http://forums.adobe.com/thread/414764

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 11:21 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I repeat, what is abusive or offensive about what I said?

Message was edited by: Peter Spier

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 11:24 AM   in reply to Amb3rV1k1ng

I see you do know what was offensive. You can call that political creectness gone mad if you wish, but this forum is public and serves a large audience, many of whom do not share your attitudes, or mine, about what is appropriate speech. Converse that way with your friends and family, if you like, but not here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to Amb3rV1k1ng

You might do well to review the Community Guidelines for the forums:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/guidelines

In the Etiquette document, you'll fine this list of things NOT to do in the forums:

Don't

• Infringe copyright. Submit only original material that you create and own.
    • Use obscene or offensive language.
    • Personally attack people, their edits, or their comments.
    • Rant or otherwise harass, abuse, or intimidate others.
    • Post anything you don't want the world to see. This is a public space.
    • Post content that violates Adobe Community Help guidelines or Adobe.com Terms of Use in any manner.
    • Be afraid to identify errors or shortcomings in Adobe content. We need to know!
    • Discuss legal issues or Adobe patents.
    • Discuss information covered by a nondisclosure agreement, such as prerelease features.

Terms of Use

For other important guidelines for using Adobe.com, see the Terms of Use.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 11:33 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Hmm . . . It would appear that you fall on the side of inexperienced users publicly flaming experienced users and denying them freedom of speech. I thought Adobe had higher standards than that. Very disappointed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 11:59 AM   in reply to Amb3rV1k1ng

I hope you aren't implying that I'm in some way biased against any particular type of user. Your choice of language was inappropriate to this forum, no more, no less. I might have actually let it go, but it was reported by someone else as offensive, so I'm clearly not the only one who feels you crossed the line.

I have no need to justify my actions as moderator, by the way. You should consider this discussion closed.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points