Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I get an image into my Images folder?

Jun 25, 2012 1:17 PM

I am pretty much doing what the User Guide says to do. Though I did it successfully a few years ago, something now does not work.

In InDesign I created a typographic unit. I saved it three ways: as a .indd file, as a .pdf, as a .jpg file.

I have no trouble getting the .jpg or .pdf into the site window or into the Components folder. But no matter how I try, it will not go into my Images folder -— at some point the Optimize dialogue shows up and I optimize, saving it as a .gif — the effort to put it in the Images folder yields an error message something like "The current operation was not sucdcessful," with an error code of either -43 or 5000.

What might I try?

Separate matter: I saved the source file in a full 8-1/2x11 page. Is it best to reduce the page size to the size of the art before resaving it as a .pdf and as a .gif? Or can I readily crop it when I place it on a GoLive page?

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 25, 2012 2:29 PM   in reply to larry red miller

Larry,

It should be possible to copy it to the Image folder in the usual way for your computer, outside GoLive, and then open the site file and press the Refresh button, to make it turn up in the proper way.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 2:32 PM   in reply to larry red miller

Is it best to reduce the page size to the size of the art before resaving it as a .pdf and as a .gif? Or can I readily crop it when I place it on a GoLive page?

Yes (at least for the GIF). No.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 3:13 PM   in reply to larry red miller

OK, Larry.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 2:40 PM   in reply to larry red miller

Larry,

Created using type in InDesign.

Saved as both a .pdf and .jpg.

Am I better off working with the .pdf or .jpg?

When optimized, it becomes .gif.

Are you unable to Save/Export to PNG or GIF?

At some point (I forget), it optimized into a .gif file.

I have no clue about all this.

I always create the graphics in Illustrator where I (can) choose the appropriate format.

But in any case I believe it is possible to repeat the procedure where you move the final GIF outside GoLive and then Refresh.

Obviously a somewhat clumsy procedure.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 3:33 PM   in reply to larry red miller

Hi Larry,

I'm just jumping into this conversation since I've been away from my computer for a few days.

When I want to add a an image in my site I do just what Jacob described, I create the image (in jpeg if it's an image I'll be using on a webpage or a pdf  if it is an actual PDF that I'm selling as a download).

I then save a copy in my 'image' file since that's where I keep all of my page images.

Then when I start up my site with GoLive and refresh, it uploads to that file for good.

Then I just create my pages and draw from that file.

The only time my jpegs ever change into gif with GoLive is when they are too large in size, (MB, dpi, etc.).  Usually if that happens, I just close down GoLive, open the jpeg with Photoshop, shrink the size down, save it using either a different name or add the size, ie: JulyCalendar200.jpg, JulyCalendar100.jpg, etc.

Then I just do like I did to add an image for the first time, (see first paragraph).

Hope that helps!

Good luck-

Deidre

http://www.LivingRightBrain.com

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 1:15 AM   in reply to TangledRibbon

Deidre,

The only time my jpegs ever change into gif with GoLive is when they are too large in size, (MB, dpi, etc.).  Usually if that happens, I just close down GoLive, open the jpeg with Photoshop, shrink the size down, save it using either a different name or add the size, ie: JulyCalendar200.jpg, JulyCalendar100.jpg, etc.

I believe that is crucial. I have never had GoLive gif anything on me so I was quite at a loss as I said.

I will remember this new knowledge.

And for my part thank you for jumping in.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points