Skip navigation

I need to get my mouse sharpened...

Jun 24, 2012 8:09 PM

Latest reply: cliffclof, Dec 15, 2012 8:46 PM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2012 3:45 PM   in reply to shooternz

I just want to add that I'm truly impressed with those of you whose worst workflow bottlenecks are between a movement of the mouse and a keystroke. That's skill...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 3:47 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

... and not take backwards steps as was done when adding keyboard trimming.

Another point where we'll have to agree to disagree.

For me, keyboard trimming ROCKS.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 7:49 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

No, I can't allow you to disagree with me on this one.  Mouse trimming HAS taken a step backwards, and needs to be corrected in some fashion.  How anyone feels about keyboard trimming is a separate issue.  I don't argue with it's inclusion, nor necessarily wish for it's removal.

But...the ease and responsiveness of mouse trimming has been tampered with, and that's not acceptable.  That feature took a step backwards when you guys added the keyboard ability.  Mouse trimming needs to be fixed so that it's as easy as it was before.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 7:48 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Is there any way to turn on the slider zoom for the timeline ?

I like to be able to use my mouse.

GLenn

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 7:50 PM   in reply to Powered by Design

Is there any way to turn on the slider zoom for the timeline ?

The scroll bar now doubles as the zoom slider.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 8:07 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Thanks Jim

It would be nice if when you moused over it it would say "slide to zoom"

At least that feature is still there unlike the ones you guys are talking about.

GLenn

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 1:07 AM   in reply to shooternz

The mouse uses about 5 pixels of extra space for blind people and in turn makes it feel Tonka Toy playschoolish.     I really want to go back to the old version just because of this.

https://p.twimg.com/AwYTrjMCQAE5CzK.jpg:large

Once again...   If I'm this inaccurate with a mouse I probably shouldn't be using adobe products to start with.

https://p.twimg.com/AwYVRUXCAAARdHb.jpg:large

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 12:23 PM   in reply to cliffclof

cliffclof wrote:

The mouse uses about 5 pixels of extra space for blind people and in turn makes it feel Tonka Toy playschoolish.     I really want to go back to the old version just because of this.

Once again...   If I'm this inaccurate with a mouse I probably shouldn't be using adobe products to start with.

You can make a feature request for "less chunky" tools. I don't think that's an odd request at all: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 1:15 PM   in reply to cliffclof

cliffclof wrote:

I couldn't agree more with this post. I TOTALLY agree. It seems like it snaps to somethign within an inch. I totally agree that we all know how to use a mouse... a LITTLE help is nice, but LITTLE is the key word.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to shooternz

Jim...mouse trimming is easier and faster than before.

I can't agree.  Going into Ripple Trim mode (the one I use most often) was MUCH easier previous to "edit point selection".  Before you just got it close and hit the CTRL modifier and slide.  Done.  Now I actually have to play around with it, move it farther, move it closer, deselect the edit point because that messes things up, and finally I'm able to finagle it into the yellow Ripple Trim mode.

It's a PITA by comparison to the previous functionality.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Have you tried it with Allow selection tool to choose roll and ripple trims without modifier keys in the Preferences.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 2:48 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

No, I can't allow you to disagree with me on this one. 

Just because I disagree, doesn't mean your points aren't valid.

Jim Simon wrote:

Mouse trimming HAS taken a step backwards, and needs to be corrected in some fashion.

What do you suggest?

Jim Simon wrote:

But...the ease and responsiveness of mouse trimming has been tampered with, and that's not acceptable.

You can trim largely in the same way, in my experience. The main beef legacy users seems to have is that you can't trim with the mouse unless you are somewhat zoomed into the Timeline. Am I correct, or am I missing something?

Jim Simon wrote:

That feature took a step backwards when you guys added the keyboard ability.  Mouse trimming needs to be fixed so that it's as easy as it was before.

Something had to give way so that users could edit with the keyboard. It was one of our top feature requests. I'm not sure how you'd like to see how mouse trimming would work, given that selecting edit points are now a fact of life.

You have edited with other NLEs too. NLEs that have edit selection. Leaving Premiere Pro aside, why do these NLEs have better mouse trimming? Or do they have the same problem as you've found with Premiere Pro CS6?

I'd love to help you out, so let me know how you'd like to see the legacy way of mouse trimming while maintaining the feature of keyboard trimming in the Timeline in CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 5:10 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

I'd like to chime in an agree that the new large red devil's tail is kind of like the old paper clip character from Microsoft Office, unwanted help that we should have an option to turn off.    Just because we request more keyboard functionality doesn't mean we are pure keyboard users that don't use the mouse, I would guess that would be a pretty small minority of users.

Cheers,

Gerry

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 5:35 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

What do you suggest?

Did that a while ago.

The main beef legacy users seems to have is that you can't trim with the mouse unless you are somewhat zoomed into the Timeline. Am I correct, or am I missing something?

Missing something.  Previously, the mouse went into Trim mode (using the standard Selection tool) simply by placing the mouse cursor near the edit point.  Holding down Shift changed that to Ripple Trim mode.  The same action in CS6 now has a myriad of results depending on how close you are to the edit point, what side of the edit point you are on, whether or not the edit point is selected, etc.  It used to be MUCH easier to get the mouse into Ripple Trim mode simply by holding it near the edit point and adding Shift.

I'd love to help you out, so let me know how you'd like to see the legacy way of mouse trimming while maintaining the feature of keyboard trimming in the Timeline in CS6.

One possibility is the aforementioned General Preference:  "Allow Timeline Edit Selection".  That way those who don't need or want it can turn it off.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 2:37 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

I must declare an interest here - I am an addicted mouse editor.  I certainly find a combinastion of the default workspace and the greater precision needed with mouse placement an impediment in two areas -

•      achieving a ripple delete in a narrow gap - Premiere always wants me to trim

•      when the work area bar has been set to the width of the timeline, the right hand grab handle is a bare fingernail hold, whereas the left hand one is fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to SimonHy

SimonHy wrote:

I'm quite open to changing the way I work, I just want to work the fastest way possible while limiting tendon damage. For me, in other NLEs, that's meant working with a keyboard.

I want to understand completely.  I use the keyboard a lot to edit very quickly, but I feel I am using it less than a lot of people in this thread while missing some things that could speed up my workflow.    Can someone please provide me with a link to a video that shows off the flow of keyboard editing in a concise manner.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 3:00 PM   in reply to cliffclof

cliffclof wrote:

SimonHy wrote:

I'm quite open to changing the way I work, I just want to work the fastest way possible while limiting tendon damage. For me, in other NLEs, that's meant working with a keyboard.

I want to understand completely.  I use the keyboard a lot to edit very quickly, but I feel I am using it less than a lot of people in this thread while missing some things that could speed up my workflow.    Can someone please provide me with a link to a video that shows off the flow of keyboard editing in a concise manner.

Thanks.

I know of no such videos. In fact it reminds me of a webcomic I read about portraying realistic hacking in movies, where a 30 second clip of someone sitting in front of a computer is revealed to be a 12 hour timelapse. By that I mean I don't think it would be a very visual thing to show. Plus editors are often a "behind the camera only" kind of bunch.

I don't think there's any rules to mastering keyboard editing. My philosophy is that everytime something comes up that I'm going to do more than once, I take the time to figure out if there's a keyboard shortcut for it, knowing it will save time in the long run, and slowly build up a repertoire of shortcuts. The other thing is that when people in this thread are talking about really fast keyboard editing, they're usually talking about Avid of FCP. There's quite a few limitations on keyboard editing in Premiere. A lot of functions having no shortcuts available, the lack of a decent keyboard based track patching system,  the need to bring up the window that a shortcut applies to before using that shortcut (effectively doubling the number of keystrokes required to do a lot of tasks), and the need to click on a lot of things before shortcuts will work, all stand out to me as the biggest issues for Premiere in this regard.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 4:31 AM   in reply to shooternz

Here's a useful fix to make several of the most-used timeline cursors much more slimline and inobtrusive. It works by simply replacing the files inside your contents, so need a minimal degree of technical knowledge to implement.

I strongly recommend checking it out:

http://philipbloom.net/2012/07/07/premiereicons/

Cheers,

jason

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 6:13 AM   in reply to Jas Brooks

Jas Brooks wrote:

Here's a useful fix to make several of the most-used timeline cursors much more slimline and inobtrusive. It works by simply replacing the files inside your contents, so need a minimal degree of technical knowledge to implement.

I don't care about the size of the icon. That's not what bothers me. It's the proximity "helper" that drives me crazy. You get within 1 inch of a cut and the cursor changes. I'd MUCH rather the proximity "helper" revert back to they it REALLY helped in CS5.5 on back.

Sometimes you need a helping hand.

It's nice when you fall down that your buddy is there to extend a hand to help you up. But when you're just walking along and he wants to hold your hand the whole time you feel like getting a new buddy.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 6:45 AM   in reply to Toomany3

Wow, this new trimming kind of sucks!!  When trimming stills to markers Premiere show's snapping to the marker like usual but when you zoom in it's NOT snapped exactly to the marker.  Now I have to take the time to zoom in and trim again.  2 steps forward 3 back!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 8:56 AM   in reply to Toomany3

It's the proximity "helper" that drives me crazy.

Right?!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 9:21 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

Right?!

Thinner cursors and less space for the proximity "helper" sound like great feature requests: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 1:27 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

I'd rather just have the ability to turn off Edit Point Selection, so things work as they did before.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 1:44 PM   in reply to Jas Brooks

Jas Brooks wrote:

Cheers,

jason

I wonder if we can use the cursors from CS5?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 1:49 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Thinner cursors and less space for the proximity "helper" sound like great feature requests: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

How's this for a feature request? Make that feature request link easier to get your requests in and out.  I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to submit a quick feature request but then never get to it because I don't want to have to fill out all the REQUIRED spaces.

I know it's off topic, but I surely can't be the only one who's said, "ahhhh, forget it. Not worth it."

If there were a button on the HELP menu that said "submit feature request," with a quick form, then you'd already have all the other foo-foo info (Adobe ID, program, OS, email address, etc.) and the user just has to type his/her request and hit enter.

Sorry to get so sidetracked, but I only submit 1 out of 10 of my "wish list" requests because it takes too much time the "right" way.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 2:00 PM   in reply to Toomany3

Thanks for the feedback Toomany. I'll make sure the powers that be know about that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 2:01 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

I'd rather just have the ability to turn off Edit Point Selection, so things work as they did before.

That's certainly a valid request.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 4:57 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

I second the request to turn off Edit Point Selection and trim as it worked before.  I'm accidentally switching trim modes.  This causes me to have to undo an edit and redo work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 6:07 PM   in reply to Jack Banatoni

+1, or perhaps +2 for me too.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 7:31 PM   in reply to shooternz

Nah, I'm too old for school, and too set in MY ways. I'll leave the "new tricks," to you "young dogs."

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 9:11 AM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Kevin Monahan wrote:

Jim Simon wrote:

Right?!

What exactly is the proximity helper?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 1:17 PM   in reply to tclark513

tclark513 wrote:

What exactly is the proximity helper?

It's not an official name, but I believe they are speaking of the relative area near the edit point, where the selection tool turns into a trim tool. Right guys?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 2:03 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

YES!  I just recently realized that is the major issue.  Previously with the standard selection tool (V), the mouse cursor changed to the Trim tool when close to an edit point.  Holding CTRL changed that into Ripple Trim.

The new behavior adds the Rolling Edit mode, and this is what's driving me nuts.  N-V-T-S I tells ya!  If I want a Rolling Edit, I'll change from the Selection tool to the Rolling Edit tool.  I don't want Rolling Edit to come up as an option when I'm using the Selection tool.  That makes it much more finicky trying to go into Ripple Edit mode.

Take out that damn Rolling Edit mode, Adobe!!!  We already have a tool for that.  Having that mode available with the Selection tool makes using Ripple Edit much more difficult.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 3:59 PM   in reply to tclark513

tclark513 wrote:

Jas Brooks wrote:

Cheers,

jason

I wonder if we can use the cursors from CS5?

CS5 cursors work in CS6.  Just need to re-name them.

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points