Skip navigation
Geoffrey J Brown
Currently Being Moderated

Frames in PSE 10 (autosize problem)

Jun 25, 2012 6:00 PM

Tags: #problem #mac #bug #elements #frames #imac #pse10 #elements_10 #drag_and_drop

Alright, so I've had PSE 7 for a few years and have been using frames as a way to make quick and easy print templates as well as blog storyboards.  It has been great and makes things really easy by automatically sizing the images to fit, etc.

I just recently upgraded to an new iMac (from PC) and got PSE 10 along with it.  I am having some serious issues with the frame functionality, however.  When I drag a photo into the frame the picture is not shrunk down to a "best fit" within the frame.  Instead it is zoomed in decently far so that I have to scale it down about 2 and a half time to actually make it fit the way it did in PSE 7.

I have watched demo videos on the functionality in PSE 8 and PSE 9 and they appear to function the same way that PSE 7 did for me for so long.

So my question is, did something change from version 9 to version 10?  Is there some setting that I am missing?  Is this a bug?

Help!  I have several years of templates built up for various things, and this is going to be a huuuge drain on productivity if this is just how it is.

Thanks!

Geoff

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jun 26, 2012 5:42 AM   in reply to Geoffrey J Brown

Hi Geoff

It seems to be working for me as usual with my canon files which have a 3:2 aspect ratio. Are you working with images with an unusual aspect ratio? That would almost certainly require the use of the slider after adding a frame.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jun 26, 2012 5:52 AM   in reply to Geoffrey J Brown

I'm on a PC and using PSE10. I Can't remember any Mac specific problems with frames being raised previously; so it may be worth flagging it up with Adobe support.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2012 7:46 AM   in reply to Geoffrey J Brown

I mostly use PSE on a mac and I don't really see any difference in behavior from previous versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 8:13 AM   in reply to Geoffrey J Brown

It depends. If I just create a blank file in editor and drop the image in, it sizes to fit one way (in other words the frame doesn't resize to fit the image, but the image sizes so that its width or height fills the frame in one direction. If I click the frame and choose to place the image that way, it doesn't fit at all. The frames in PSE 9 and 10 don't work  on either platform the same way they did in PSE 7, in my experience. They're not as smart.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 9:09 AM   in reply to Geoffrey J Brown

I don't know, but I don't see that it matters, since the frame doesn't fit anyway--it only fits one dimension, so you would still have to adjust it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 9:13 AM   in reply to Geoffrey J Brown

That's what I said. The frames in PSE 7 worked better than they do in recent versions. This has nothing to do with mac or windows, but rather evidently with changes made when the new Create came along in version 9.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 11:49 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Interesting...two steps forward, one step backward.

Ken

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points