Skip navigation
Bloodsaler
Currently Being Moderated

How does convert document to working cmyk after adjusting in profile mismatch dialog box?

Jun 25, 2012 8:04 PM

Tags: #color #indesign #settings"

When there`s a profile or policy mismatch dialog box here,there`s an option about adjust the document to match current colour settings.But when the assign profile doesn`t match the working space,the check box of "convert document to working cmyk after adjusting"can choose.

But question come out,when I check the box,I find the profile auto turn to working cmyk profile,there`s nothing to do with the assigned profile I chosen.

So when to choose this option?why not directly choose the working cmyk profile?

some more questions.about the "placed content"option,I`m not quite catch the meaning of the options.such as "keep existing assignments"."disable all profiles"."enable all profiles".Can anybody answer me?

屏幕快照 2012-06-25 下午05.50.49.png

Replies
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jun 26, 2012 6:09 AM   in reply to Bloodsaler

When you make a new document the current Color Settings are used to determine whether the document will get RGB and/or CMYK profiles assigned and how to handle future conflicts.

If the CMYK Color Management Policy was set to Off when the document was created, no profile will be assigned and any time the document is opened the current Color Settings CMYK Working Space will be used to manage the CMYK colors' display or conversion to another color space. If a document has an assigned profile the Color Settings' Working Space is ignored.

Your screen capture shows that the document being opened was created with the CMYK policy set to Off and that the current policy is Preserve Embedded Profiles. If you click Adjust... the policy will no longer be Off and the profile you choose will assigned to the document—that profile will be used (not the current Working Space) whenever the document is opened.

Placed files can also have embedded profiles and ID lets you choose whether to honor those profiles or ignore them and use the document's profile instead. A CMYK policy of Off or Preserve Numbers (Ignore Embedded Profiles) ignores placed content profiles.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jun 26, 2012 6:29 PM   in reply to Bloodsaler

If I make a document with Color Settings' CMYK policy set to Off like this:

Screen shot 2012-06-26 at 8.55.05 PM.png

Save and close the doc then change Color Settings to this:

Screen shot 2012-06-26 at 9.00.33 PM.png

When I open the document the mismatch dialog tells me the document has no profile assigned while the current policy is set to preserve (the Off policy meant no profile got assigned).

Clicking Adjust... lets me change the document's policy from Off to the current Preserve Embedded and choose the profile I want to assign which can be any available CMYK profile including the current working space. 

A document's profile assignments can also be changed via Edit>Assign Profiles..., but the document's policy can only be changed from the Mismatch dialog

Screen shot 2012-06-26 at 9.02.31 PM.png

If I click Adust... the profile I choose from Assign Profile is now the document's profile:

Screen shot 2012-06-26 at 9.17.36 PM.png

Which is confirmed when I open Edit>Assign Profiles...

Screen shot 2012-06-26 at 9.17.50 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 27, 2012 2:22 AM   in reply to Bloodsaler

Essentially that allows a "double" conversion. For example, if you know that the document should be in SWOP 2, but your workspace is FOGRA 27, you might use this to first assign the document to the SWOP profile so ID knows what the colors should look like, then convert to FOGRA so the color numbers are changed, but the appearance remains the same.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jun 27, 2012 6:40 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter, something really wierd's happened with my # 3 post. The screen captures are not mine—I don't even recongnize the app they are coming from.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jun 27, 2012 6:47 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

This one looks right. Are you seeing the difference?

If I make a document with Color Settings' CMYK policy set to Off like this:

Screen shot 2012-06-26 at 8.55.05 PM.png

Save and close the doc then change Color Settings to this:

Screen shot 2012-06-26 at 9.00.33 PM.png

When I open the document the mismatch dialog tells me the document has no profile assigned while the current policy is set to preserve (the Off policy meant no profile got assigned).

Clicking Adjust... lets me change the document's policy from Off to the current Preserve Embedded and choose the profile I want to assign which can be any available CMYK profile including the current working space. 

Screen shot 2012-06-26 at 9.17.36 PM.png

A document's profile assignments can also be changed via Edit>Assign Profiles..., but the document's policy can only be changed from the Mismatch dialog

If I click Adust... the profile I choose from Assign Profile is now the document's profile:

Which is confirmed when I open Edit>Assign Profiles...

Screen shot 2012-06-26 at 9.17.50 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jun 27, 2012 7:39 AM   in reply to Bloodsaler

I don`t know when to use this function,I think it`s useless.

It produces the same results as Edit>Convert to Profile.

You would convert in a case where a document needs to be repurposed for new press conditions. So, if the document was originally intended for US Sheetfed but will now be output to US Web Uncoated, the CMYK values need to be adjusted for the uncoated sheet in order to maintain the color's appearance, which could be quite different when you move to a web press printing on the more absorbant uncoated sheet.

A color like 70% cyan converts to 60% cyan to compensate for the extra dot gain and lack of saturation on the uncoated sheet. Its appearance on screen doesn't change because the new uncoated profile is also being assigned, which updates the CMYK preview

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 27, 2012 7:40 AM   in reply to Rob Day

Rob,

I think something is screwed up on the server. I saw the same image in another post from Harbs. It probably has to do withthe new skin rollout for the forum. I'll notify admin.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points