Skip navigation
BruceND75
Currently Being Moderated

Can't for the life of me Uninstall

Jun 27, 2012 12:01 AM

I have Windows 7 and Flash Player 11.3.300.257 installed. I am trying to uninstall so I can install the Flex SDK. I have tried everything under the sun to uninstall, but for the life of me, everything fails.

I downloaded the unistall utlility from Adobe and ran it several times -- including in Safe Mode with no apps running. I followed all the steps from Adobe's uninstall-flash-player-windows page. Nothing works -- the player will not uninstall.

I'm told I can't install the Flex SDK debugger player (11.1) until I have successfully uninstalled the existing player. Help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 27, 2012 12:45 AM   in reply to BruceND75

Do you get any error messages during the uninstall?

Do you have all browsers closed during the uninstall?  (You also need to close messenger apps, chat clients, Skype, etc.)

Can you post the contents of the FlashInstll.log files in

• C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash
    • C:\Windows\syswow64\Macromed\Flash

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 12:46 AM   in reply to BruceND75

P.S. what other files do you have left in the two abovementioned folders?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 8:18 PM   in reply to BruceND75

BruceND75 wrote:

No other files in my system32/macromed/flash other than the log file. I had deleted all files there before as part of the instructions at uninstall-flash-player-windows.html.

Once again, Flash player stubbornly alive and well.

If there are no files on the Macromed\Flash folder, then there is no Flash Player.

Or do you have any registered Flash*.ocx file(s) elsewhere?  When you go to your browser(s) and check your add-ons, do you see Shockwave Flash in there.

How else do you see Flash Player "alive"?  What do you see at 2. on http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html ?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 3:14 AM   in reply to BruceND75

Google Chrome comes bundled with Flash Player; you cannot uninstall it.  You can deactivate it if you need, but I don't have the instructions at hand right now.

Can you install the Flex debug player now?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 5:42 PM   in reply to BruceND75

BruceND75 wrote:

In Chrome, the version still shows up as 11.3 (the non-debugger version).

As I wrote earlier, FP is preinstalled in Chrome; you cannot uninstall it.  At least not the normal way; I'm sure there are ways to replace the standard FP with the debugger version.

BruceND75 wrote:

Also, when I run the FlashPlayerDebugger.exe, instead of getting an install routine, I get what appears to be a standalone Flash Player 11, waiting for me to open and run a SWF. Am I missing something?

I don't know; the downloads at http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html are clear; I don't know from where you are downloading these.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points