Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6

Jun 24, 2012 10:21 AM

In CS6 what is the best way extract a person ( including  hair strands ) from one photo to place on another photo.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2012 10:33 AM   in reply to sootymann

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 10:37 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Martin Evening also has a nice video tutorial on using refine edge/mask to create a good hair mask:

http://photoshopnews.com/2010/04/30/refine-edge-hair-masking-in-photos hop-cs5/

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,977 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jun 24, 2012 3:23 PM   in reply to sootymann

I would write try the Extract filter but Adobe removed it and that a good thing for it only worker on simple images would never be able to do stray hairs.  I guess you could use the great new tool content aware move. Most likely it will work about as well as extract did. Perhaps Adobe should also remove content aware move ::)

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 24, 2012 4:20 PM   in reply to sootymann

+1 for the process shown by Russell Brown at the link Curt provided.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to JJMack

Perhaps Adobe should also remove content aware move ::)

I consider that tool pretty much worthless for serious image editing, after all it is a destructive one-stop process for an often complex task.

But I guess it’s the kind of thing that is supposed to look good in presenetations.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 7:27 PM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

I have found Content Aware Move quite useful on several occasions. The trick semms to be to draw a fairly loose selection around the object and often to choose "Strict" for the mode. It does take a bit of practice but it certainly has its uses. Also you can work on an empty layer if you choose "Sample All layers".

Here I moved a bird futher down the branch on which it was perching but I did need to use the Patching Tool after the move tool to get smmother blends around the edges of the selection out of this very smooth texture-less background.

Original Position:

Screen shot 2012-06-25 at 10.24.13 PM.png

After Content-Aware Move:

Screen shot 2012-06-25 at 10.24.57 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 8:27 PM   in reply to CameraAnn

OFF TOPIC:  Looking at that bird's head, I see a reptile with a long stick in its mouth.  It is true:  dinosaurs did NOT become extinct, they took to the air!  Those that didn't have the adaptabilty to learn to fly became ostriches or starved to death.

Back to your regular programming now...   

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,977 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jun 25, 2012 8:46 PM   in reply to CameraAnn

CameraAnn wrote:

I have found Content Aware Move quite useful on several occasions. The trick semms to be to draw a fairly loose selection around the object and often to choose "Strict" for the mode. It does take a bit of practice but it certainly has its uses. Also you can work on an empty layer if you choose "Sample All layers".

Here I moved a bird futher down the branch on which it was perching but I did need to use the Patching Tool after the move tool to get smmother blends around the edges of the selection out of this very smooth texture-less background.

Because the content aware move tool did not work all that well you had to use patch tool and merge and blend things.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 11:23 PM   in reply to JJMack

I don't find the CAM tool to be worthless: it definitely has its uses and it did this job more quickly than traditional layer-masking and then having to re-create the missing background by cloning it in manually would have done.

I honestly think that people are still expecting all tools to work automatically with one click of the "Make Perfect" button?!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 11:27 PM   in reply to CameraAnn

I honestly think that people are still expecting all tools to work automatically with one click of the "Make Perfect" button?!

And I think the Content Aware Move Tool is adressed to just those people.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 12:24 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

You mentioned that the CAM tool was a "destructive" editing device but it isn't destructive when used on an empty layer with Sample All layers selected.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 12:43 AM   in reply to CameraAnn

Well, I guess you may be right with regard to the term »destructive« in this context.

And by your point one might also argue that the Blur Gallery Filters are not destructive as one could always apply them to a duplicated Layer.

The mixture of moved element and background the Content Aware Move Tool produces is dependent on exactly the applied transformation and does hardly lend itself to further changes ideally in my opinion.

So while I may have used the term »destructive« incorrectly indeed my opinion of the worth of the Tool for professional work stays low – but I’m certainly impressed with the programming achievement.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 4:31 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

I guess you could use the great new tool content aware move. Most likely it will work about as well as extract did.Thanks for the information and success. Forum Kabbanet  Site Designnet

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,977 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jun 26, 2012 4:45 AM   in reply to CameraAnn

CameraAnn wrote:

Not at all there will never be a God button that work all the time in Photoshop as there will never be a CAM tool that works well all the time.  Moving an objects in shart high resolution detailed images is hard to do well it take a lot of work.  Masking and blending will work well in most cases but that takes knowledge practice and skill. IMO CAM is a distraction that should not exist all it will do is frustrate those the want good results however sometimes it may satisfy the visually impaired..

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 26, 2012 9:54 AM   in reply to CameraAnn

My opinion:  Masking and separating subject from background, yielding the possibility for better background manipulation yields far better results and is well worth taking just a few extra moments to do.

MaskingAndMoving.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 1:13 AM   in reply to CameraAnn

Very nicely put, Noel.

I’ve been giving the terminology some more thought:

For a non-Smart operation to be called »non-destructive« I would ideally expect perfect reproducabilty without the potential source of variation introduced by necessary cursor movements.

For example the results of Filters (except random ones like Clouds, Add Noise …) on duplicate Layers could be perfectly reproduced before the advent of Smart Filters if necessary Selections were stored and the values noted.

But while the Selection for a CAM operation can naturally be saved the offset can, it seems, not be entered numerically, so reproducing it would necessitate cursor input and optical matching.

So I guess my expectations of tool behaviour may overshoot what the term »non-destructive« means by definition.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points