Skip navigation
evaFOD
Currently Being Moderated

DPS App opening a PDF in a Separate App

Jun 1, 2012 1:43 AM

Tags: #dps #ipad

From a DPS generated App, I would like to open a separate PDF file using an App that will give me the tools to work with a PDF file, such as Highlight/Underline and Bookmark.

How can I setup the File Link that will allow me to open or download the PDF outside of the App?

Is it currently possible? Can this become a feature?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 10, 2012 11:00 PM   in reply to evaFOD

Looking for the same thing, like including technical data sheets along with a publication.

Workaround so far seems to be putting online an html page with a link to this pdf. I'm seeking answers about embedding it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,643 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jun 11, 2012 6:47 AM   in reply to Franck Payen

If you add the PDF to the HTML Resources file and link to the PDF from a button, the PDF opens in the in-app browser. See the Effects issue in DPS Tips for details.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 1:24 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

We will soon (probably mid July) release the PDF to Folio converter.

The PDF to Folio converter allows you to take an existing pdf and turn it into a digital magazine application.

The workflow is very simple and extremely fast. Upload an exising pdf to the PDF to Tablet website. The PDF

is converted into a Folio file and will be placed in your Adobe DPS account.

The digital magazine application has all functionalities such as:

• Navigate through the pdf by swiping your finger across the screen
    • Zoom in on pages by the pinch and release gesture
    • Table of contents that allows you to see thumbnails of all the pages
    • Tap on the table of contents thumbnail to quickly navigate to that page
    • Rotate the tablet to the landscape view to see two pages side by side

For more information, please contact me at

Tristan@the-saints.nl

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 12:40 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Hi Bob.

Thanks for the help, that's exactly what i needed… at first.

Once i have this pdf zipped as "HTMLResources.zip" and importer i can press on the button to view the pdf.

Of course since import is only available in the folio builder, i can't preview the folio through the Folio Overlays panel.

And since the desktop Content Viewer doesn't read pdf files, when i click i have a blank screen.

But it's fine on the iPad, so i'm ok.

Now, second (and linked) question : on the iPad, i can read the pdf, but i find no way to store it in the library. I suppose it might be a limit on the iOs side, can you confirm that or did I miss something ?

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,643 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jun 18, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to Franck Payen

What do you mean by "store it in the library"? Are you trying to call external PDF files from within a folio? If so, I'm not sure if that's possible.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 12:33 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Which is exactly what i'd want.

mmmm

well i'd like this internal html resource pdf to be used by (say) ibooks library.

And this i guess is… complicated. No ?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 3:20 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Hi Bob, can I ask for some clarification?

What action do you use for the button (got to url, open file, etc) and what form does the link to the button take? Is it a navto, html, type link or is it simply a pathway to the pdf file such as //HTMLResources/mydoc.pdf?

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 9:58 PM   in reply to Phil-Andrews

Hi Phil-Andrews,

If that may help, the first recommendation by Bob Bringhurst was right and complete : in the DPS Tpis App, See the Effects folio, there's an article about "Links to PDF Files" where the procedure is explained precisely :

(I use the share folio function, that's practicle)

Advanced Overlays DPS Tips -- Links to PDF Files

http://www.adobepublish.com/s/3c3c3159-c43b-422f-b75b-baa9c039f254/23_ PDF_Links.html

So your file is zipped under HTMLResources.zip and the button (which can be any shape button you want, rectangle, image, round, anything) is a Go To URL : HTMLResources/articlename.pdf

(on the On Release event, which is default)

Edit of the morning : i just updated all my DPS Tips folios, this is now in the Advanced Overlays folio, no more in the Effects one

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 10:15 PM   in reply to Franck Payen

Hey Franck, nice to connect here ;-)

Thanks. I'll have a play and let you know.

Have you tried linking other file tyepes such as .ics for calendar dates and .ppt for presentations etc? Of course you will need a native app that is associated with the file type to be able to open but I am hoping this may be a way to bundle different file tyepes within my app and then be able to open them in other native iPad apps.

Cheers,

Philip

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 2:11 AM   in reply to Phil-Andrews

but still, you cannot send this PDF to goodreader, can you?

—Johannes

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 2:15 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Nope, what's inside stays inside (from what i understood) which makes me sad…

As for .ics, i would rather go with the apple url scheme, which unfortunately doesn't (seem to) propose anything around calendars : http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#featuredarticles/iPhoneURLSche me_Reference/Introduction/Introduction.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 2:17 AM   in reply to Franck Payen

adobe could offer a "send to" option in the PDF viewer, same as opening

PDFs from a mail.

—Johannes

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 3:10 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

any app that can receives data from other apps has a "custom URL scheme", many of them are not documented very well, you can find out what's the URL schemes apps offer here:

http://schemes.zwapp.com/

Goodreader, wich might be the preferred PDF reader for many people, opens any PDF if you call it with ghttp://

for example, if you open this URL on your ipad, goodreader will open and start the download of the file:

ghttp://download.nordsueddesign.de/file.pdf

I made a few tests and I came to the conclusion that the best solution requires you to host the PDF file somehwere on your server (like my example abover).

You then make a button that directs to the PDF file via http://. Set the Hyperlink to Open in Device Browser (Safari) wich will then offer to send this file to any PDF-reader on the iPad.

But you can also directly open goodreader with a button that directs to the PDF file via ghttp://. This will force goodreader to immediatly download the PDF from your server.

If you host your PDF file inside the HTMLResources, no other app can receive that file because it does not know where to find it.

Download my example files.

URLschemes.png

(click to see all possibilites)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 4:34 PM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Thanks for this Johannes. I'll let you know how I go.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 3:59 PM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Johanes, the example is great

I have a doubth… can I open google earth file (kmz) in ipad (with google earth app installed)?

I tried with "HTMLResources/file.kmz" and don't work…

Ciao!

m

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points