Skip navigation
hayoyah
Currently Being Moderated

CC Light Burst & CC Ball Action & CC Sphere

Jun 30, 2012 11:35 PM

Hi,

I really need your help. I'm making a universal logo (from Maxafterhttp://maxafter.com/tuts/universalStudio/universal.html) on adobe after effects cs6

I used a black white earth map with CC BALL action, like this

Capture.PNG

When I precomposed it and added a CC Sphere to it, the balls catched shadows

like this:

21.PNG

and i was not able to add CC Light Burst to it, otherwise I got all those weird

white black streaks, instead of only white:

3232.PNG

I have no idea what to do, Please help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2012 10:05 AM   in reply to hayoyah

Apply a Levels effect after the Ball Action to make it strictly b&w. Or use the map as a property map for Particle Playground and a layer grid. Alternatively, do a stack with the Shift Channels effect or similar to create Alpha channel based on Luminance and treat the edges with Matte Choker or Minimax to get rid of the black fringes...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 3:21 PM   in reply to hayoyah

Or change the blending mode of the layer to something like Screen to eliminate the darker colours/

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 8:43 PM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

Blend modes are the key. Both in the effects and on the layers.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 10:59 PM   in reply to Rick Gerard

...though you'd still have to apply effects to take care of degenerated opacity for a consistent look...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 2:21 AM   in reply to hayoyah

I don't see anything problematic that Add blending mode couldn't resolve. Also you could eliminate any color fringes by appling a crude Fill effect with white or again, erode them with Minimax or a choker effect as well as convert the channels before using the light rays. You really need to look into that....

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 6:17 AM   in reply to hayoyah

Did you try changing the Blending Mode of the "beams" layer to Add or Screen?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 4:31 PM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

You're trying to do too on too few layers and you've mis diagnosed the source of your problem. 

CC Ball action is going to create a ball everywhere there is an opaque pixel. You need to create a world map that's white where the land is and transparent where the water is. If youre image is truley black and white I'd use Set Channels and simple matte Choker. Set alpha to Luminance. Another approach would be to use a copy of your Black and White world as a track matte. The key to success is to have a white only land mass that you can apply Ball action to.

Now when you apply ball action you have white balls on a transparent background. You can then animate a wipe to hide the balls so that the light beams will go away as they do in the Universal Pictures opener.

Once you've got your white balls on a transparent background nest that comp and apply CCSphere. Render only the Outside to hide the back of the world. Now animate the rotation of both the world in color and the world of white dots so they are in sync.

The next step is to pre-compose the white dot world and apply light burst. Change the blend mode of that pre-comp to ADD and you should be ready to tweak settings for the final result.

That should do it. Whenever you run into an AE problem you can't solve, back up, and try and see where the problem really lies. In your project, CC Ball action was creating balls on both the white and black portion of your image. The solution is to remove the black portion of the image.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points