Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is there anyhing odd with PDF and overlays?

Jun 25, 2012 1:44 PM

Tags: #scrolling #pdf #content #folio #viewer #corrupt #overlays

Hi, folks

I have been building some overlays following the advice given in DPS tips (thanks, Bob) and the help. So far, so good. Nothing very particular or strange.

But since this last weekend (23rd-24th June) or so, the overlays I include have started to act 'funny'. They are very simple things like scrollable frames and slideshows with static pictures (no videos or pan and zoom, nothing but pictures).

First time I upload the folio everything is OK. The overlays scroll and do their duty perfectly, but after a while, when swipping and passing the pages... The scrollable content of a frame appears all of a sudden in the precedent page. It scrolls there and the nesting frame in the following is there but empty.

If I make a tiny change and refresh the culprit article... everything is ok again. Until next random failure.

Is it me? My way of working? Where? I am lost here.

The folio is a PDF with horizontal swipping almost all of it. Just about 30 Mb and only three scrolling frames and one slidshow. I am in Windows7. Adobe suite is updated. DPS is: 12.24.20120611_m_691037 (8.0.7.21)

Any idea, pretty please?

Thanks

Gustavo (posting from madrid, the oven of Europe)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 25, 2012 1:49 PM   in reply to Gusgsm

Know bug with the viewer and it’s been there forever and seems to only happen with horizontal swiping articles.

Workaround: Delete the folio from the viewer by archiving it and then download it again.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 2:51 PM   in reply to Gusgsm

Keep in mind this is the Content Viewer with the problem. The actual app will be fine, but this is a PITA for sure.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,643 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jun 25, 2012 3:00 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

If the Adobe Content Viewer starts behaving erratically, it usually helps to remove it from both iTunes Apps and from the device, sync, and reinstall the Adobe Content Viewer. Restarting the iPad every now and then is also a good idea.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 3:39 PM   in reply to Gusgsm

I guess I’ve been lucky dealing with reasonable clients that understand that this is new and evolving technology.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 12:21 AM   in reply to Gusgsm

Hi Gustavo!

The simplest way to solve this problem is just split stack. Don't use 'horisontal swipe only' bacause it's always buggy.

Just create single page stack for each page in your muity-pages file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 1:51 AM   in reply to Gusgsm

If you have file with 5 pages you should create 5 different files and upload them into 5 different articles (stacks).

So you will have fully functional folio with all your interactive overlays without buggy "flattened" mode.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 2:40 AM   in reply to Gusgsm

> Does DPS admit exporting more than one article from the same document of InDesign?

Yes

> unless we split pages afterwads in a too laborious handwork

Yes, it's not simple sometimes, but it works always.

I think this is only way to fix the problem.

I hate DPS very often in such kind of things.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 4:37 AM   in reply to Another1984

That is, IMO, a horrible waste of time and will result in even more work setting up the TOC. The only issue with horizontal swipe is with the Adobe Content Viewer and the bug that forces interactivity to the first page. To say this is "always buggy" is a pretty good stretch.

This is easily corrected by updating the article in question.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 4:59 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Absolutely disagree

|
    Mark as:
  • Casey Jensen
    293 posts
    May 4, 2011
    Jun 27, 2012 6:46 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

I've seen this as well, and archiving the folio and re-downloading has always resolved the problem.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points