Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

ridding color cast

Jun 26, 2012 5:23 AM

I scanned slides and I don't know why some have this purplish tint.  Here are 2 of the same subject.  What is the best approach to make the one Koala like the other without tinging other parts with a new unwanted cast?126731.jpg126812.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2012 5:34 AM   in reply to robirdman1

Image > Adjustments > Match Color

is an options, but may not provide sarisfactory results.

Other options would be Curves Layers (possibly set to Blend Mode Color) and using the gray eyedropper on a piece of fur that’s supposed to be neutral, Selective Color Layers, …

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 5:54 AM   in reply to robirdman1

Depends how much time (and accuaracy) you want to invest in color corection. I would use Curves, Selective Color etc. with masks.

For quick i can suggest 2 ways for now.

1. First what comes in mind is Match Colors (Image/Adjustments)

a) Make layer copy.

b) Apply Match Color with Source koala which color you want.

c) Move original layer above matched and set it to Luminosity.

That's how it looks:

koala-match2.jpgkoala-match.jpg

Again, they need a little adjustments for my eye but for quick it's good.

2.  a) Take Koala 'skin' sample and remember it.

b) With Curves set Midtone target color to remember color and click on more or less equal lightness on koala's skin. With mask restore places which color you don't want to affect.

koala-curve.jpg

And again, not perfect but all examples was very quick and without much 'thinking'. So for 'fast and furious' result is normal

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 7:56 PM   in reply to SeniorSSS

What color is a koala?   Open it in CameraRAW and click around with the white balance dropper until it looks right.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 8:21 PM   in reply to robirdman1

Sometimes the most obvious tool works just right:

Less-than-one-second correction with Photoshop's Auto Color adjustment:

Koala_corrected.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 10:03 AM   in reply to robirdman1

Here's an attempt.

koala-126731-adjusted.jpgkoala-126812-adjusted.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 27, 2012 10:40 AM   in reply to robirdman1

Assuming folks in this thread are trying to achieve a neutral gray color in the Koala's fur, it's kind of interesting that the results are coming out pretty different from person to person.  There are of course artistic differences but I wonder if monitor calibration is also playing a part.  Station_two and I seem to be on about the same wavelength.

In Photoshop proper, you can do Image - Adjust - Curves, click the "gray point" (white balance) dropper, and click on things that are supposed to be neutral colored.  You can also do Image - Adjust - Color Balance and tweak the highlights, midtones, and shadows to taste.  Finally, you can adjust hue and saturation of specific colors, for example with the Image - Adjust - Hue/Saturation, which can help take care of the overly green leaves and too saturated reds/browns.

Doing just these things (starting by sampling the fur above the nose), then normalizing the exposure values so both images are roughly the same brightness, I got these results:

Koala1.jpgKoala2.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 11:34 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Yep, Noel, yours is neutral on my monitor, and station-two's is close. My own isn't, but that was a deliberate choice since robirdman1 didn't seem impressed by station-two's result from Auto Color.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 27, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to conroy

Might not hurt to do a quick experiment...

Robirdman1, does this look neutrally colored to you?

GrayGradient.png

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 2:35 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Koalas are not green, I hope. The OP, as usual, has no clue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 5:03 PM   in reply to robirdman1

robirdman1 wrote:

…Regarding the other post,  I don't see where the auto color changed the color cast significantly.

Whoa! 

Your monitor profile is hosed, or you have a worthless monitor, or you're seriously vision impaired… or all of the above!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 5:04 PM   in reply to robirdman1

Start getting a clue about color management here:

http://www.gballard.net/psd/cmstheory.html

Read that entire website carefully.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 10:48 PM   in reply to robirdman1

Well, robird, I have learned something. Evidently your koala is green. Give him to your zoo.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 2:56 AM   in reply to Lundberg02

Lundberg02 wrote:

Koalas are not green, I hope. The OP, as usual, has no clue.

If you're in a bad mood, hit yourself on the head. Don't vent your anger by insulting people here.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 28, 2012 3:57 AM   in reply to robirdman1

robirdman1 wrote:

it still appears to have a purplish cast to me.

Robirdman, if the various efforts to create a more or less neutral gray koala here come off as purplish to you, then it seems likely your monitor is misadjusted / miscalibrated.  I suspect that's what the guys leaving the several brusque remarks were trying to imply.

Something you can do is sample color in Photoshop using one of several methods - e.g., the Eyedropper Tool or Color Picker, or just hovering over colors and looking in the Info panel.  If the numbers say something like 36, 36, 36 that should be gray.  If it looks "purplish" to you then your monitor should be questioned.

You didn't answer my question above:  Does the gradient I posted look "purplish"?  EDIT:  Yes you did, you were posting at the same time I was.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 5:23 AM   in reply to robirdman1

Your color perception is still flawed.  There's no "purplish" cast on the snout.

It's Cyan/Blue.

Half a second white balance fix:

301728+Mouflon+Sheep.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 7:49 AM   in reply to robirdman1

Following what I learned in this thread...

Lamb.jpg

btw... I'm using CS4 on this machine.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 29, 2012 1:00 PM   in reply to robirdman1

This is a more challenging image than your other ones.

Keep in mind that there actually IS some cyan/blue expected in white colored things - think about all the blue in the sky reflecting on things.  Try not to focus on getting ALL of the cyan/blue out, but to remove enough of it that it's not distracting.  Note, for example the bluish color in the sheep's coat, which looks pretty unnatural.

The color in this image is oversaturated from where I sit.  I think one path to start with this may be through Image - Adjust - Hue/Saturation and specifically reduce the saturation of some of the overly strong colors.  Image - Adjust - Color Balance is another way to bring things better in line.

Just to show a possible goal for this image...  Note that this was not completed with just a few simple operations, and not all of the operations were performed on the entire image.

SheepColorBalanced.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 1:48 PM   in reply to robirdman1

robirdman1 wrote:

…When I go to curves and click the white point in various light places my own results still have the cast, so where are you clicking the white point?

I did not use curves or levels.  I opened the image in Adobe Camera Raw and used the white balance tool somewhere on the bridge of the nose. 

301728+Mouflon+Sheep.png

It took literally a second or two, including opening the image, fixing the white point and saving it.  The image is not really worth investing more than one or two seconds on it.  No offense meant, just a factual observation.

If you're just beginning to learn, try the easiest, most obvious route first.

I like Noel's interpretation, except that the eyes appear dead and the snout still appears cyan/bluish.  (Note to Noel:  I thought it was a hornless goat.  Go figure!)  Interestingly, the Chinese use a single word in Mandarin to designate sheep and or goat, sometimes differentiating goat in rural areas with a slight addition: 山羊.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 29, 2012 2:18 PM   in reply to station_two

I just guessed at "sheep" to be honest. 

I agree that there's still a bit of cyan/blue on the nose.  When I work I tend to be conservative about how extreme I make image changes.  I've less (recent) experience working on film images than digital.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 4:18 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel,

Here I thought that it was a Tasmanian Blue-nosed Sheep...

Happy 4th of July,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points