Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

URGENT problem with pdf messing up text

Jun 27, 2012 8:20 AM

We just received a late-in-arriving PDF ad for our publication. When I place it on the page where it is supposed to go, it messes up the text. When I say messes up, I mean that the text take on an almost pixelated look. Kind of bold and fat looking. The text is in a text frame and the PDF is in its own box. Just for the fun of it, I moved it to another page and it messed up the text there too. Once it is off the page, the text returns to normal.

Of course, I am supposed to deliver this finished publication today!

What's going on?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 27, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to sindsro6

Sounds like a transparency problem. Put the PDF on a layer below the text.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 11:06 AM   in reply to sindsro6

Can you post a screen shot of the issue?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 2:41 PM   in reply to sindsro6

To post a screen shot, when you're in the editor, click the camera icon in the editor toolbar to select your screen shot.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 6:39 PM   in reply to sindsro6

Could be a differnce in transparency flattener settings, or it could be a corrupt file. Try an export to .idml (see Remove minor corruption by exporting) and check the flattener settings in both files.

If you have an object with transparency that is higher in the stacking order than your text, the odds are pretty good that the text will be outlined or rasterized if there is any interaction. You can use the Transparency Flattener Preview to find transparency in the file, and to see the effect on your text.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 2:59 AM   in reply to sindsro6

That's not quite what I meant. Blend space would affect the color, but shouldn't have anything to do with other attibutes related to the type.

You mentioned Pixelated type originally, which may have thrown me off. There is a known phenomenon when there is transparency on a page that the type appears bolder. Is that what you are seeing?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points