System: ID 5.5 (7.5.3); Mac 10.7.4
My layout has a header variable that looks for a paragraph style called HeaderContent, first on page, to be shown on the left and right pages. There is never more than one HeaderContent on any page. I've used this design for four books.
In one book I have a HeaderContent on page 7 and 8, but page 9 and forward is using the content from page 7. I tried exporting to an .idml file, but it didn't fix it.
I found the fix, but I don't believe it. I was removing pages to make for a smaller file in case I wanted to e-mail it so someone. When I remove the cover page, WHICH IS TOTALLY BLANK because the artist hasn't finished the design, it works, and it continues to work when I add a new blank placeholder page.
Usually forum posts are for when you can't get something fixed, but I thought I'd describe this weird situation anyway. If anyone wants to see it, I can send the file, stripped of graphics and uncommon fonts.
Check your assigned paragraph styles, it may be a single hard return got this same style assigned. One would expect the variable to be empty (since it out to reflect the textual contents of that paragraph) but I've found on numerous occasions ID just goes nuts and uses a random entry from several pages ago.
Europe, Middle East and Africa