Skip navigation
Dan Rodney 46 posts
Jan 18, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS6 Coding ePub Lists Wrong?

Jun 27, 2012 1:04 PM

Tags: #indesign #css #cs6 #epub #numbered_list #bullet_list

I think I found a major bug in InDesign CS6's ePub export of list items.

In CS5 I'd get pretty clean lists:

<ul>
    <li class="Basic-Paragraph">one</li>
    <li class="Basic-Paragraph">two</li>
    <li class="Basic-Paragraph">three</li>
</ul>

Now in CS6 I get this mess

<ul>
    <li class="Basic-Paragraph"><span class="char-style-override-1">•&#9;</span>one</li>
    <li class="Basic-Paragraph"><span class="char-style-override-1">•&#9;</span>two</li>
    <li class="Basic-Paragraph"><span class="char-style-override-1">•&#9;</span>three</li>
</ul>

The same type of thing happens with ordered lists as well. Why are the bullets and numbering now being entered in the code instead of using the native list formatting? InDesig CS6's CSS actually hides the native list formatted because it would of course conflict with the typed in characters.

This is real mess of code. Is there a good reason for this that I am not seeing? This causes a ton of formatting issues. The same ePub that looked great exported from CS5 looks bad exported from CS6.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 28, 2012 11:44 AM   in reply to Dan Rodney

I'm having the same trouble. I guess the lack of responses means that it's probably a bug and that there's no easy way to avoid ending up with double bullets? Anyone else?

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 11:59 AM   in reply to Dan Rodney

Sadly, I think it's as designed. Makes a littel bit of sense for numbered lists but certainly not for bullets.

If you export the exact same content to HTML it's comes through properly.

Someone made a really bad decision here.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Time to file a bug report so Adobe gets the word.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 12:04 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

Thanks for the help everyone! I was hoping I might have just misunderstood the UL export settings, but alas...

(Honestly, I've given up on reporting bugs, making feature requests, and generally expecting Adobe to respond to people who use their products. Not that I'm still bitter about no endnotes in CS6  )

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

Just to be perfectly clear...I hope I'm wrong about the as designed thing. This is just brutal behavior.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 12:20 PM   in reply to Dan Rodney

I think you need to file it as a feature request, not a bug report. Anything as designed is going to be filed away immediately while a feature request might get looked at.

This behavior is flat out wrong for bullets and as far as semantic mark up goes. It’s not correct for numbered lists either but does result in the numbers being the same as the InDesign file.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 12:35 PM   in reply to Dan Rodney

After a bit more reading, including a what’s new in EPUB article in the new InDesign Magazine, I can assure you, this is as designed.

Again, I can see the logic for number lists, but not for bullets.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to Dan Rodney

I agree with you 100%, Dan but again, if you report it as a bug, it’s not at all likely going to get looked at.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 3:58 PM   in reply to Dan Rodney

It's not a bug. Adobe brags in CS6 promos that it can now display any character as a bullet, whereas previously we were "stuck" with the CSS bullet characters. This is their solution, and it's awful. I've managed to override it in my own CSS, but when I convert ePubs to Kindle books, Kindle can't handle the CSS and it comes apart, leaving me with TWO bullet characters.

Undo, Adobe!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 5:26 AM   in reply to Dan Rodney

Here's the perspective of Ron Bilodeau, one of the experts in the field, in a very insightful blog post:

http://silvadeau.wordpress.com

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 9:30 AM   in reply to Dan Rodney

Yep, Kindle can't handle the kind of CSS required to make the ID6 bullets display acceptably. Hanging indents don't align well enough in ePubs, worse in Kindle, and thus look amateurish. I found no better solution than to strip out the newly added bullet character and span style from every ePub doc and revert to ePub-generated lists – a real pain, even using GREP.

InDesign added "display: block" to their span tag to disable a list's ability to act, well, list-like. That's the kind of back-door hack I'd try to get away with, not something I expected to see from Adobe.   :-D

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 12:21 AM   in reply to Dan Rodney

Hey Dan,

would you mind revealing which GREP-commands you use to sort out these faulty codes? I'm really annoyed by this problem, especially since I have a Book with many many pages and many many bullet- und numbered lists.

Do you also delete the bullet and define the sign via CSS or do you leave the bullet as it is? Do you only delete the span-tags?

I always have difficulties with the indents.

Thank you very much.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 6:36 AM   in reply to Dan Rodney

Our whole handling of lists has been substantially changed/improved in CC, including the problem you describe here.

Let me encourage you to try it out and report any problems you find so those can be addresses too.

Douglas Waterfall

InDesign Engineering

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points