Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I keep InCopy file from losing formatting after editing assignment in InDesign?

Jun 27, 2012 2:49 PM

Tags: #indesign_cs5 #incopy_cs6

Writers have created assignments from an InCopy template built with paragraph styles, character styles and a text area width.

Designers are importing these assignments into an InDesign template that uses the same paragraph styles and character styles.

But if an imported assignment is edited in InDesign and then reopened in InCopy, the InCopy file only keeps the used paragraph styles and character styles and loses all others along with the fixed text area width that was created in the template?

Which I don't want, how do I resolve this?

Thanks!

Btw, I am currently using InDesign CS5 and writers are using trial for InCopy CS6.

Replies
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jun 27, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to Chinh Nguyen

(You might want to change your screen name, I suspect the forum administrators may view "PLS@adobe.com " as inappropriate.)

But if an imported assignment is edited in InDesign and then reopened in InCopy, the InCopy file only keeps the used paragraph styles and character styles and loses all others along with the fixed text area width that was created in the template?

That is not supposed to happen.

Btw, I am currently using InDesign CS5 and writers are using trial for InCopy CS6.

This is not a supported configuration. I suspect it is the source of your problem....try the trial of InDesign CS6 and see if it solves your problem?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 27, 2012 3:18 PM   in reply to Chinh Nguyen

Once placed in InDesign the InCopy (ICML file) should not be opened directly. Open the InDesign file or the Assignment.

And CHANGE YOUR SCREEN NAME!

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jun 27, 2012 3:31 PM   in reply to Chinh Nguyen

It looks like you are attempting to masquerade as an Adobe employee with

an adobe.com email address.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 27, 2012 5:38 PM   in reply to Chinh Nguyen

Yes, that’s me.

I’m sorry, but what you’re trying to do is not the way it’s supposed to work. InCopy is designed to work with InDesign.

Once that content is in an InDesign layout, opening the InCopy file on its own is not the standard workflow.

Why do you want to see the original formatting when that’s not the final intent?

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points