Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Creating actions

Jun 27, 2012 11:04 PM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 27, 2012 11:04 PM   in reply to Community Help

I am extremely frustrated with action writing in CS6. I cannot paste a selected object in an action! It would work fine in CS5. I open my logo doc, select all, copy and close. Go to my base doc and paste-- NOT AVAILABLE>

So I tried select all first before pasting. When I play the action, it says SELECTION NOT AVAILABLE, but when I continue, it does actually paste and finish the action! Why wont it let me select all OR paste in an action now?

I am an advanced action writer and an adobe influencer and presenter, so I know what im doing, but this has me totally stumped. Thanks for your response! suzette@suzetteallen.com

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 11:13 PM   in reply to SuzetteAllen

I think that's a glitch in cs6 if your using floating document windows.

Does your action work if your documents are tabbed?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 11:50 PM   in reply to SuzetteAllen

Why would you open a file, select, copy (edit: forgot the closing step) and paste instead of simply placing the file?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 12:10 AM   in reply to R_Kelly

Thank you- actually, you are right. My husband sniffed this one out in the meantime  and it plays just fine if in tabs. The workaround we found is to add an action option before the paste to go to Step by step mode, and then paste. Then change it back to accelerated mode. I guess it goes too fast to be able to paste?? That ws his guess. But it works. Either in tabs or with the workaround entry before/after the paste command.

Thanks for the speedy reply!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 12:14 AM   in reply to SuzetteAllen

Well, I still think your Action probably includes unnecessary steps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 12:20 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

why not place? well, I have always done it the other way.... but I just tried place and it WORKS! Awesome, thank you! And I didnt have turn on tabs! ;D  Guess I need to do that more often!

thanks a bunch!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 2:34 AM   in reply to jonnyyoshi

Some warning, though:

Placed images honor resolution – so images of the same pixel dimensions may appear differently sized if they have different resolutions and the Prefrences’ »Resize Image During Place«-setting.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 2:38 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

Ok- thank you! It is working great, and my action makes the image a fixed size, so that was not an issue. Good to know for the future though!

suzette

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,011 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 28, 2012 9:18 AM   in reply to SuzetteAllen

Suzette

If you continue to create actions for images files some day you may become frustrated again when to try to create avtions the will work on any size image.  Action can not use logic like Photoshop Scripts can.  You need to become a little creative to handle document thac can vary greatly in number of pinels. you may want to look at my crafting actions package if contains a sample action the can put a logo on any size image.

Crafting Actions Package Contains

• Action Actions Palette Tips.txt
    • Action Creation Guidelines.txt
    • Action Dealing with Image Size.txt
    • Action Enhanced via Scripted Photoshop Functions.txt
    • CraftedActions.atn Sample Action set includes an example Watermarking action
    • Sample Actions.txt Photoshop CraftedActions set saved as a text file.
    • 12 Scripts for actions

Example

http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/WM900x600.jpg

Download

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 10:55 PM   in reply to JJMack

JJMack is certainly right in that ultimately Scripting (preferably with JavaScript) is more potent for automations than Actions.

At the start it may be a lot less comfortable (and offer many more opportunities to mess up) and for certain tasks it may be overkill, but depending on the kind of work one does it may well be worth the time to learn.

And in connection with Configurator Panels one can reduce some tedious repetetive tasks to one-click-operations.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 12:42 AM   in reply to SuzetteAllen

Hi Suzette,

We have a bug report against the CS6 untabbed behavior. We're looking at fixes, as this also impacts scripting (noted by JJMack is some other posts).

Sorry for the trouble, but glad to see you have placed images as a workaround.

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 1:39 PM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

Thank you! Sounds interesting and I need to pursue scripts sometime. I have a lot of people asking about them in my classes!

Thanks for the info and suggestions!

suzette

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points