Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Fresh install of Ilustrator CS6 (64bit) can't load Drop Shadow.aip

Jun 28, 2012 8:12 AM

Tags: #plug-in #cs6-upgrade #error_loading

Today I upgraded from Design Standard CS5.0 to CS6, and as I am running Windows 7 64bit I chose the 64-bit version of Illustrator.

Now every time I start Illustrator it reports "Error loading plugins. Drop Shadow.aip"; after clicking OK it starts normally, but obviously without the Drop Shadow plug-in.

Then, I open a new document, draw a rectangle and select Effect/Stylize/Glowing Edges; the first time in a session I do that, Illustrator produces a pop-up saying "The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error. [CANT]", but on OK shows the Glowing Edges work area without problems. After finishing the Glowing Edges effect, I can then select it in that session without getting the pop-up. As Drop Shadow is in the Stylize category of Illustrator CS5 I suppose the pop-up is a side effect of the failure to load Drop Shadow.aip.

My question is, how can I get the plug-in to load properly?

Jeroen

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 28, 2012 8:20 AM   in reply to jerdenberg

Sounds like you need a specific runtime library. Could be anything from MSVC8 through 10 or one of the .NET runtimes. The Gaussian Blur and all derived effects (Glow, Drop Shadow) have been rewritten and may use one of those functions. Download the files from Microsoft, install them step by step and see, if it fixes the issue.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 8:21 PM   in reply to jerdenberg

Did you have any luck finding the dependency needed? I am in the same boat. CS5.5 worked fine, but just upgraded and illustrator CS6 gives me the error about dropshadow.aip upon startup. I tried a lot of .net and MSVC packages both x32 and x64 to no avail.

thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 7:55 AM   in reply to jerdenberg

How do we get Adobe to respond here? I had a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit. Then a clean install of Adobe Illustrator. This problem still occurs.

I'm confused and disullusioned that for a problem like this there is not even a suggested set of steps to resolve. If there are libraries that need to be installed, I'd like to know which ones, where to get them, etc.

Adobe please help!

Thanks,

-billb

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 2:59 AM   in reply to jerdenberg

I have the same error on starup, its a bit annoying and I'd like to use the drop shadow.

The drag and drop from folder to AI doesn't work properly either: "The operation cannot complete of an unknown error. [CANT]

Drag and drop or Place of PSD-file doesn't do anything.

I've used Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects and Premiere so far from Master Collection and all of them have been giving errors. I sucks to pay load of money and get half working software in return.

Shape up Adobe!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 9:34 PM   in reply to Jari-Jukka Nippala

I tried reinstalling AI, but it didn't help.
    Installation on my laptop works without error warnings.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 9:35 PM   in reply to jerdenberg

Hey!

I had the same issue for some time, I was looking for its solution once again and I land here, but couldn't find any solution.... Until I got figured it my self.

Here is the solution that worked for me:

1. Move all files contained in folder where Illustrator filters are stored to somewhere else.

Which was the following for me:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS6 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Illustrator Filters"

2. Run Illustrator, it would let you know that it needs to restart , in order to update the filters.

3. Close Illustrator and move back all files back to their original location.

4. Run illustrator and all of the plug-ins Including Drop shadow will work!

Regards,

Blue

(https://www.elance.com/s/bluegold316/?rid=1KHFP)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 9:41 PM   in reply to bluegold316

Very good for you to post this. i wish it could be marked answered.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 9:52 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Thanks, lets see if it works for someone else as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 10:25 PM   in reply to jerdenberg

Then, I open a new document, draw a rectangle and select Effect/Stylize/Glowing Edges; the first time in a session I do that, Illustrator produces a pop-up saying "The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error. [CANT]",

I was able to fix that by disabling the windows UAC.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 11:19 PM   in reply to jerdenberg

The work-aroung didn't help in my case.

I can use drop shadow from Effect - SVG Filters menu.

All the names in that menu are a bit odd:

for example

AI_Shadow_1

AI_Shadow_2

AI_Turbulence_3

AI_Turbulence_5

NIce idea from bluegold316,

but I agree with jerdenberg that should have properly working software in return for our investment.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to jerdenberg

Don't know if this is the problem bu it makes interesting reading, though I do not believe it is the problem being discussed here at least for most of you.

http://www.pcerrorfixtip.com/DropShadow.aip-453113.html

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 7:31 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Thanks to all who contributed here. It is disappointing that such a large company is refusing to address a problem with $1000+ software. I'm appauled.

Thanks for the suggestion above to move the filter files out, start, them move them back. Unfortunatly, it did not work for me. It is reassuring to know that others have this problem--it's not something wonky about my system.

I did an uninstall, ran the cleaner, and reinstalled, as suggested by Adobe staff. Unfortunatly, that did not help either. They were just giving me a pat answer, not really looking at my problem.

I'm sorry to see that Adobe is not addressing this issue. If anything arises, please share it here I'll keep active alters on this thread.

Thanks!!

-billb

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 9:19 AM   in reply to bluegold316

Thanks, bluegold, this helps - at least the drop shadow and glow are working now - but they are still funky.  Wasted enough time on it already, I will be going back to Corel a-GAIN...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 10:05 AM   in reply to bethn

I finally called Adobe. Support was helpful. This is not complete instructions, just what they had me do (and it worked). I am CS6 on Windows 7 x64.

Start from fresh reboot--they made me do that, can't hurt.

They had me go into <drive>:\Users\<myaccount>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS6 Settings

They had me delete en_US folder. (Well, drag it to desktop, same thing.)

Then checked for the \Users\<myaccount>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS6 Settings directory, but in my case it did not exist, so no action. Probably if it had existed they would have had me delete as I did with the one under Roaming.

Then run Illustrator, the problem was gone, no errors, open files using the drop shadow and no errors, create new file no errors, everything fine.

-billb

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 6:50 AM   in reply to jerdenberg

Nothing above helped me, but this did:

Delete en_US or en_GB (or what ever) folder from <drive>:\Users\<myaccount>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS6 Settings.

Delete your preferences:

Control+Alt+Shift (Command+Option+Shift for Mac) when the application is started. (must be done before the splash screen and answer yes)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2013 12:30 AM   in reply to jerdenberg

System: W7/64 Utimate, CS6

Hello there

we ran into the same problem with Illustrator CS6 (and Bridge CS6 crashing immediately after launch) and sadly none of the above tipps could solve the problem. Here's how I solved the problem ...

The problem seems to be related to W7-UAC and permissions (at least here). Like many other in the GFX-biz i use a fast stripe-set to carry the TEMP- and TMP-folders. The environment variables therefore pointet to "TEMP => s:\temp" and "TMP => s:\tmp".

This seems to confuse the good ppl at Adobe or Microsoft.

FIX:

a) Make sure your user-environment variables "TEMP" and "TMP" point to the default, as set up by Windows upon installation: this can be either

"c:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Temp" (which didn't exist here)

or

"c:\Windows\Temp"

(where "c:" indicates your system drive)

b) If your TEMP/TMP vars point to non-standard paths, and if you are unsure, make User and System-environment vars point to "TEMP => c:\windows\temp" and "TMP => c:\windows\tmp"

Question:

How to still use your fast stripe-set or SSD for temp-folder?

Just create "junctions" within the Windows-folder. Junctions are special links that point to different locations. To create junctions, do the following (but DO TAKE CARE, tipps are provided as is, whatever you do, you are responsible for it

a) open an Explorer-window as Administrator (right click and select "run as Administrator"), go to your Windows-directory and delete the "temp"-folder (and the "tmp"-folder too if there is one)

b) make sure the temp-folders on your fast drive/partition are created already

c) open a command-window as Administrator (right click and select "run as Administrator") and type the following commands (just enter bold stuff):

%SYSTEMDRIVE%   (press enter)

this brings you to the drive where Windows is installed on

cd %WINDIR%      (press enter)

this brings you to the Windows-directory

Once in the Windows directory, type ... "mklink /j temp [path to your temp folder]" so in case your fast stripe-set is drive "s" and the tempo-folder therin is called "temp" you type ...

mklink /j temp s:\temp

d) do the same for "tmp"

mklink /j tmp s:\tmp

Here's the setup that fixed it here ...

System and User-TEMP-variable points to "c:\windows\temp"

System and User-TMP-variable points to "c:\windows\tmp"

"c:\windows\temp" is a junction to "s:\temp"

"c:\windows\tmp" is a junction to "s:\tmp"

Additional bonus:

The above procedure also fixed the crashes in Bridge CS that occured as soon as the program launched.

Really sorry for the long post, but I hope it helps someone!

And yes, you are welcome, Adobe!

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 3:42 PM   in reply to otdocman

Thank you!!! I've been trying to fix this for days and finally I got it working. When I did a fresh install of illustrator CS6 on my windows 7 home premium i got an error saying about 15 different plugins hadn't loaded and when it loaded up half the UI was missing. But after doing as you said and deleting the settings folder it worked perfect!

Thank you again!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 8:24 AM   in reply to jerdenberg

I had a similar problem, in that the blur part of the drop shadow effect wasn't blured and occasionally I would get the 'CAN'T' error.

I could display a drop shadow from a file created in CS5 correctly, but if I edited it, the drop shadow became flat.

There are some very complicated answers above but when someone mentioned the Windows UAC, I had a eureka moment...!

Run Illustrator as Administrator! (Right click on the Illustrator shortcut and click "Run as Administrator")

That fixed the drop shadow problem for me.

I had a similar issue with photoshop in that it wouldn't even load without running as Administrator!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points