Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is it easy to get text documents into AE CS5?

Jun 28, 2012 7:40 AM

Hi folks,

I have 4 PreComps that are simply a text layer of fixed size and position and 2 colours. The bottom line is always white, the others are a colour.

The required text will be sent to me and I will be constantly changing these 4 PreComps and rendering out the finals.

I was wondering if it's possible or worth it to import the text from a file rather than type it in.

After a search it looks like AE can only import text from PS? We do have PS but I know little about it. I'm happy to use it in the work flow though if it's easy and quick.

So is there any way to do this? I mention the colour etc as I know some character generators can import text files, automatically fitting individual paragraphs into templates.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 28, 2012 8:35 AM   in reply to Dan Jacobsen

Check AEScripts et al. There are scripts to update/ create text layers from external files. And updating source text via copy&paste without messing up the formatting is also easy enough, the secret sauce in this case being to paste the new text as a source text expression... Automaticalyl fitting text is not easily possible, though. Apparance properties are only accessible through scripts and calculating any stuff involving text can be pretty beastly due to how fonts work in general (visible data vs. em box and al lthat....)

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 29, 2012 2:40 AM   in reply to Dan Jacobsen

AS Mylenium said, Scripts will get you there.  Take a look at

http://aescripts.com/compsfromspreadsheet/

to see if it, or something similar, will do waht you need.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points