Skip navigation
reevans
Currently Being Moderated

Re-install Lightroom 4

Jun 28, 2012 9:09 AM

Tags: #creative_cloud #lightroom_upgrade

I already have Light room  4.1 on my computer which I paid for.  Do I need to re-install it form the cloud to get it sync for updates.  When I start up the adobe application manager it does not show light room as installed

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 28, 2012 10:35 AM   in reply to reevans

Did your Creative Cloud subscription come with a serial number to activate the products?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 11:35 AM   in reply to reevans

@reevans - You do not need to re-install Lightroom. It will not show up as installed in the Adobe Application Manager. You will still receive all bug-fix and security updates if/when they happen. At this point there are no Creative Cloud member-only updates to Lightroom.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 1:55 PM   in reply to reevans

Your perpetual licensed version of Lightroom would not receive the Creative Cloud member-only updates. I am sure such member-only updates to any of the products will be announced in some fashion so you can just wait until then.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 2:42 PM   in reply to Ken G. Rice

So, when (if) those of us who had previously installed (purchaced) versions of Lightroom 4 are notified of member-only (creative cloud) updates how will we be able to access them?  What would happen to cateloggs and settings if we downloaded and installed LR4 from the CC over with a full version already installed?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 3:13 PM   in reply to cliffhotchkiss

The updates are one of the benefits of a Creative Cloud membership. Someone who uses a perpetual license will have to wait until the next release.

This is covered in the Creative Cloud FAQ here http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html.

Under General Information see the question: Are there any unique benefits that come with my paid membership?

An ever-expanding membership that provides access to Adobe's latest products, services, features, and workflows as soon as they are available. You no longer have to wait 12, 18, or 24 months for the latest innovations.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 3:38 PM   in reply to Ken G. Rice

I understand that part.  I signed up for Creative Cloud the day it was released. Prior to that I upgraded to LR4 the day it was released.  What I (and I think mjarrott) are trying to figure out is how to resolve our pre-existing LR4 installs with the advantages we get as full paying CC members. 

Is it best for us to re-install LR4 from the CC.  Or is there a way to somehow link our pre-existing LR4 install to our CC accounts.

I think we both want to make sure we recieve all the benifits of our Creative Cloud memberships with the addition of Lightroom to the service.  We just need to know the best way to handle this.

I appologize, I am certainly not trying to hijack this thread, but I think mjarrott and I are looking for the same information.

Sorry to be difficult!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 4:05 PM   in reply to cliffhotchkiss

There is no way to link a perpetual licensed product with a Creative Cloud membership. If you want to ensure you get updates then install the Creative Cloud membership version of Lightroom. You will need to deactivate and uninstall the licensed version first.

My initial answer was based on not creating extra busy work for anyone. There are no member-only updates yet. So if you have a perpetual licensed version installed then there is no functional difference. But if you want to switch now instead of waiting until member-only updates are announced then go ahead and switch.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 4:09 PM   in reply to Ken G. Rice

Thanks so much Ken.  Truly appreciated.  Have a great weekend and holiday.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 7:28 PM   in reply to reevans

I had some downtime today (recovering from some surgery a couple weeks ago).  Back-up'd & Uninstalled perpetual licenced LR4.1 - Reinstalled from the Creative Cloud.  It auto-populated my catelog and all my settings and plug-ins (including custom headers, export settings, and prefrences).  The whole process took about 25 minutes.

Easy as pie (at least store bought pie, that is!)

Thanks again to Ken for helping us figure it out!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 9:03 PM   in reply to cliffhotchkiss

Well, I came here with the same question on my mind. In the "Lightroom and Creative Cloud FAQ" (http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-creative-cloud-faq.html) it is said that "if you already own Lightroom 4, it's unnecessary to reinstall it with the Creative Cloud Membership version." Well, I think this is a bit misleading. It should read "it's unnecessary as long as there are no differences; as soon as there are differences, you should reinstall Ligtroom". Or, in other words, it is necessary...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 12:02 AM   in reply to JCIhrens

What kind of the difference ?

Creative cloud and retail version has the same build.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 12:37 AM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

At the moment, yes. See http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/stay-a-step-ahead.html:

More upgrades and features

The tools you use today will just keep getting better, and with your Creative Cloud membership, you don't have to wait for the latest advances. Not only do you get access to every planned upgrade upon release, but we'll also be improving our software with new features that are available only to Creative Cloud members between major releases.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 12:54 AM   in reply to JCIhrens

I think you are getting the concept in a worng manner , let me try and explain

With the Creative Cloud you get the latest apps , means right now we have CS6 , you will get CS7 when it will be available however if you buy the perpeptual license you will not get this liberty.

Update has always been and will always be free, all the Adobe application gets automatically updated through the AAM with an exception to few like lightroom.

In lightroom case the update comes up with the whole new setup. So to update lightroom you have to re-install and that what that article say , if you already have the lightroom no need to re-install but yes to update you will have to , because it will not get updated like other apps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 6:22 AM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

With the Creative Cloud you get the latest apps , means right now we have CS6 , you will get CS7 when it will be available however if you buy the perpeptual license you will not get this liberty.

Update has always been and will always be free, all the Adobe application gets automatically updated through the AAM with an exception to few like lightroom.

Okay, this means that

Not only do you get access to every planned upgrade upon release, but we'll also be improving our software with new features that are available only to Creative Cloud members between major releases.

isn't true and is just advertising blah-blah? If I didn't get the concept, the author of that text (taken from the Adobe website) surely didn't get it, too...

So if you want to say that this isn't true for Lightroom while it is for the other applications, please do so in clear words. If that's not what you want to say: Okay, it won't be updated automatically, but how will I be informed about updates that are exclusively meant for the Creative Cloud version? The Adobe Application Manager doesn't list it as installed, so it won't inform me. If this nevertheless works somehow, will these updates be accepted by my existing Lightroom version? I guess it would be easier to unterstand if you gave us a little more information...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points