• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to flow a tagged ASCII text onto a unstructured FrameMaker 10 template?

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2012 Jun 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have large amount of tagged ASCII content in hand, something like this

<title>Chapter title

<h1>Heading 1

<p>paragraph text

<bib>some thext

. . . .

On the other hand, I also have a FrameMaker 10 unstructured template where title, h1, p, bib, etc style elements are already defined.

Please suggest me a way to flow my text onto the template, which my page composition makes easy.

I am looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks,

Arul

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2012 Jun 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use FrameMaker's MML markup to match things up to your existing template.

See: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FrameMaker/8.0/mml_reference.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2012 Jun 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that my content will need some transformation to comply with this standard. Is there any other way that the content will be poured AS IS and get composed automatically by the template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2012 Jun 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With your current mark-up style (as shown in the original posting), all you would need to do is to add two statements to the start of your file, e.g.

<MML>

<Include "formats.mml">

<title>Chapter title

<h1>Heading 1

<p>paragraph text

<bib>some thext

. . . .

and create a file called formats.mml that contains DefineTag statements listing exactly the styles that you've used to mark-up the text and that correspond to the catalog entries in your template, e.g.

<MML>

<!DefineTag title>

<!DefineTag h1>

<!DefineTag p>

<!DefineTag bib>

etc.

Then in your template file that already has the predefined styles, File > Import > File and select the data file.

When FM imports the MML file, the included formats.mml file tells FM that the tags already exist in the template and to apply them to the content as it comes in. Note: if you have many of these source files using the same template, you will only need one copy of this formats file.

Note: to separate paragraphs (if not tagged with a preceding <p> or whatever), you must use two or more consecutive return characters, so this might be another minor modification to your input stream depending upon the tagging consistency.

Any "transformation" for your content appears to very minor/trivial from what you've shown so far. Otherwise, I am not aware of any other method of getting the contnt in AS IS without some work up front to transform it to a format that FM can decipher.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines