Skip navigation
mttsmmnds
Currently Being Moderated

Cheapest way to get prores?

Jun 22, 2012 4:35 AM

Hi all,

I've just clean installed Lion and CS6, I don't think I need to bother with FCP anymore as I have fully migrated to Premiere. However, I still use Prores all the time, both at home and at work, so I can't afford not to have the codecs installed. I was wondering what the easiest/cheapest option is to get Prores?

From what I can tell, buying Compressor for £34.99 is the cheapest option, which I'm happy to pay if necessray but it seems a lot for a codec. Does anyone know if I can purchase the codecs on their own at all? I suppose that would involve Apple admitting that the only thing FCP is good for is that codec...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 29, 2012 1:22 PM   in reply to mttsmmnds

Motion and Compressor are the cheapest options. By the way, I was playing right now with Adobe Media Encoder on a (almost) new mac mini and I find that I am able to export in Prores. Funny thing, I can't remember having purchased anything from Apple. I only downloaded and deleted the Fcpx trial a while ago. Andrea

Edit: was it because of Ffmpeg? Handbrake?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 7:39 PM   in reply to xdvar

This link might help http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1396
    Also for xdvar could be the trial... did you also run an update after installing the trial? if so that's a nice way for a quick  codec install. lol.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 1:18 AM   in reply to JaysonM-Y

I think you are right. Andrea

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers