Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign Packaging "Can't copy links"

Jun 28, 2012 9:33 AM

What would be possible causes of the "Can't copy links" error when trying to package in InDesign 7.0.4 on Windows 7. The links are located on various network drives. This setup has worked for many years but we recently moved our entire file structure from an aging Windows server to a new Network Attached Storage device. It's obvious that is the cause of the trouble but I've exhausted my knowledge.

What I've done so far:

• Double and triple checked the permissions on the NAS (I have all read/write permissions)
  • Packaging old and new documents
  • Copying all links to a new location using that function in the Links panel (same error occurs)

My only solution so far has been to embed all the links, package the file, then unembed them into the links folder in the packaged folder. Not a great solution considering how it takes about 30 minutes to copy the necessary ~1GB of links twice.'

Thoughts?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 28, 2012 11:32 AM   in reply to justgeig

Do the links show as all up to date? I'd be pretty surprised if they were if you've moved them to a new server outside of ID. If the links are missing, they have to be resestablished bfore they can be copied.This comes up from time to time, and somebody may have come up with a scripted solution to changing the paths.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 12:54 PM   in reply to justgeig

justgeig wrote:

The paths stayed exactly the same in order to prevent any issues with links

If true, you'd be the first person I've heard of where that actually happened.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I realize that's not a very helpful response. There's really no other reaason I can come up with off the top of my head, though. Can you select a link and "edit original"?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to justgeig

justgeig wrote:

lol! All I did was make sure that each machine mapped the same drive letter to the same folder on the new server. It worked like a charm :-)

Hmm. Must be easier for Windows networks than it is on Macs. This place is littered with mac users who've installed new servers and lost all the links in thousands of files.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points